Menu

Oak Meadow History Courses

Has anyone used the OM World or American History courses? Does the curriculum include exams? I was also wondering what literature selections they use. I see in the course description the student is introduced to literature, art, biographies, but I don't see specific titles.

We have used Biblioplan for 5th-8th, so I'm nervous about making a change. I like what I see with OM, but really want to be sure.

We will be using World History this year. Ds used their Geography course last year.  And in looking at the student workbook for World History, it looks like it will be similar in its delivery.

Read a section/chapter(s) in the text, answer some comprehension questions, complete a mini project after each lesson. There are usually 4-5 to choose from, and the student picks 1. There is a selection of books that is recommended at the beginning of the workbook for the 1st semester and a selection in the second semester. The student is suppose to read 1 book per semester (but of course your student could read more) and do a journal about the book. There are suggestions as to what kind of questions the student should be asking himself/herself. There are semester end projects, which are used as semester exams.

There are no real exams in this program. It is very creative/writing/reading based. My son enjoys the creative assignments and being able to choose which ones he'll do. He also enjoys reading. This program works for him and I have little to do, which is always good at this stage :001_smile: (ds will be in 11th grade).

Some book selections for semester 1:

Non-fiction

Life in Medieval England

Classical Greece

Guns, Germs and Steel

Life in the Renaissance

The Golden Age of Islam

The Babylonians

1421: The Year China Discovered America

The Parthenon of Ancient Greece

Fiction

A Tale of Two Cities

The Island of the Day Before

The Ice Shirt

Semester 2:

Non-fiction

Eyewitness to History

A Brief History of the Human Race

Collapse

Gandhi's Truth: On the Origins of Militant Nonviolence

An Album of World War II Homefronts

Inventions: Inventors and Ingenious Ideas

The Generation of 1914

The Right Stuff

Fiction:

A Passage to India

All Quiet on the Western Front

Some book selections for semester 1:

Non-fiction

Life in Medieval England

Classical Greece

Guns, Germs and Steel

Life in the Renaissance

The Golden Age of Islam

The Babylonians

1421: The Year China Discovered America

The Parthenon of Ancient Greece

Fiction

A Tale of Two Cities

The Island of the Day Before

The Ice Shirt

Semester 2:

Non-fiction

Eyewitness to History

A Brief History of the Human Race

Collapse

Gandhi's Truth: On the Origins of Militant Nonviolence

An Album of World War II Homefronts

Inventions: Inventors and Ingenious Ideas

The Generation of 1914

The Right Stuff

Fiction:

A Passage to India

All Quiet on the Western Front

Thank you so much for posting these! :)

I used the OM World History for my son two years ago and I will be using it again this year for my daughter.  They are totally different learners, but I believe this will still work great for my dyslexic daughter.  I actually enjoy the textbook they use and the workbook.  There are some very interesting projects in there.

I added an art history element by using a textbook that I am able to get through our public school enrichment program called "Discovering Art History".

I also added quite a bit of literature for my book-crazy son.  For my daughter, I am having her take the Center for Lit's World History class online.  Throughout the year, they read works of literature for about 3 to 4 weeks, then meet online for a two hour Socratic discussion.  This year they will be reading:

The Book of Job

The Odyssey of Homer

Beowulf

Virgil's Aeneid

Dante's Inferno

The Canterbury Tales

The Three Musketeers

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

I also add quite a few videos from Discovery Streaming and we watch a lot of Netflix documentaries.

She will write two research papers - one on a history topic of her choice and one for her biology class - one each semester - in addition to some chosen projects out of the OM book.  (These may be used as part of her English credit.)

I used the OM World History for my son two years ago and I will be using it again this year for my daughter.  They are totally different learners, but I believe this will still work great for my dyslexic daughter.  I actually enjoy the textbook they use and the workbook.  There are some very interesting projects in there.

I added an art history element by using a textbook that I am able to get through our public school enrichment program called "Discovering Art History".

I also added quite a bit of literature for my book-crazy son.  For my daughter, I am having her take the Center for Lit's World History class online.  Throughout the year, they read works of literature for about 3 to 4 weeks, then meet online for a two hour Socratic discussion.  This year they will be reading:

The Book of Job

The Odyssey of Homer

Beowulf

Virgil's Aeneid

Dante's Inferno

The Canterbury Tales

The Three Musketeers

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis

I also add quite a few videos from Discovery Streaming and we watch a lot of Netflix documentaries.

She will write two research papers - one on a history topic of her choice and one for her biology class - one each semester - in addition to some chosen projects out of the OM book.  (These may be used as part of her English credit.)

Thanks! :)