Menu

BFSU - Do I need all 3 books?

I have a rising first, fourth, and sixth grader next year - which conveniently places them in BFSU vol 1, 2, and 3.  I own vol 1, but don't have a way to look at the other 2 before purchasing.  Is the material covered in the last 2 books different, or would it be possible to work off of Vol 1 (or 2) and scale the reading for the other kids?  My main concern isn't really cost as the books aren't terribly expensive; I just would rather not be planning entirely separate science for each kid.  We struggle just to get science 'done' already!

Okay.  I suspected as much.  So while I will possibly be able to keep all 3 on the same strand, they will have different assignments and lesson plans. Is that a fair assessment? 

Thanks for the quick reply. The last two volumes are burning a hole in my Amazon cart.  This is replacing Elemental Science for us, so it's a big jump from open-and-go to... not. :)

Basically you will be teaching completely different material to each. Honestly it's very teacher intensive, so I would want to combine somehow. If I were in your place, I would try to combine the older two kids. Make sure they both know the material in the first volume and then proceed to volume 2. I think you could do volume 2 in one year or better two years. Keep in mind that volume 3 should lead directly to AP sciences, so you can take your time with BFSU. Teach the first grader separately.

Buy just volume 2 for now. :)

This is what I would do: like Roadrunner said buy only volume 2 as an extra. Then teach from volume 2 and revise anything in volume 1 that they do not know (it will be a requirement for sections in volume 2) When you do the revision with the olders bring in your first grader so that he learns that unit and so that there is less prep work for you.

Heh... My husband recently left his corporate job and is self-employed, so this will be the first year he's been able to participate in school (for better or worse). He's an engineer, so I just handed him science part and parcel.  It sounds like I should let him teach the older two kids, and teach the first grader myself (or maybe even have my 6th grader teach the first grader - they'd probably both enjoy that).  Thanks for the reminder that BFSU3 ends in AP preparedness - that gives me 3 solid years to get through both books, which takes some of the pressure off. :)

Honestly, is there such a thing as fun, effective science that isn't teacher intensive?  In 5 years of searching, I haven't found one.  I'm conceding, I guess.  :glare:

• 3 weeks later...

Basically you will be teaching completely different material to each. Honestly it's very teacher intensive, so I would want to combine somehow. If I were in your place, I would try to combine the older two kids. Make sure they both know the material in the first volume and then proceed to volume 2. I think you could do volume 2 in one year or better two years. Keep in mind that volume 3 should lead directly to AP sciences, so you can take your time with BFSU. Teach the first grader separately.

Buy just volume 2 for now. :)

I'm considering buying/using the BSFU book 1 this year with a 1st and 3rd grader.  How teacher intensive is it?  Could I do all the prep during a couple days in the summer, and just have maintainance prep during the school year?  And now necessary are the other readings?  Would it be a flop if we didn't do them, for example?  Thanks!

I did BFSU1 with little to no prep at all. I read through the book the summer before and made note of a few things I needed (magnet set, rocks and minerals), however I got overwhelmed trying to plan it to far out. Instead, at the end of a lesson time, before I put the book away, I would skim the next part and see what I needed to be ready with.

I did use some additional experiments from "730 Easy Science Experiments" for variety. Maybe your library has it.

BFSU2 has required a LOT more prep from me in order to ensure that my dc, who are at the young end if the range for the book, stay engaged for the longer lessons. I like the prep, though, it gives me a chance to add pictures!

ETA: I check out a lot of supplemental reading, but rarely "officially" use it. My dc will read or skim it if I have it at home.

I'm considering buying/using the BSFU book 1 this year with a 1st and 3rd grader. How teacher intensive is it? Could I do all the prep during a couple days in the summer, and just have maintainance prep during the school year? And now necessary are the other readings? Would it be a flop if we didn't do them, for example? Thanks!

For the first volume, I read and highlighted the lessons over weekends. I think if you prep during the summer, you will end up doing the work twice. We did some extra reading, and I would have loved to do more, but our library is limited. So no, the readings aren't necessary, but I think it would really add to the program if you find good books to add. We weren't crazy with Nebel's selections, or at least the ones we found.

I am prereading volume 2 to make sure my boxy can handle the content that's coming.

For the first volume we relied on library books, YouTube and DVDs borrowed from the library. I would just peruse the topic and then we would pick up books that covered that topic. I put them in a dedicated basket and my son would read through them leisurely. We would then watch a segment about what we were learning that week and I would then open discussion. Ask questions and teach anything I needed. I made notes from Nebel's book. We didn't often do any experiments but we will start incorporating them more. At the end of the week I had my son dictate, as he was too little to write, what he had learnt that week.

A little bit of effort from the boy, and a few minutes a day discussion while we went for a walk. Voila. Okay...Maybe it is not that easy. But it doesn't have to to be incredibly complicated.

I should add that I followed a flow chart that someone created from the group, I printed it out so I knew what I was doing each week. I would read that chapter at the beginning of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

"I should add that I followed a flow chart that someone created from the group, I printed it out so I knew what I was doing each week. I would read that chapter at the beginning of the week. "

Where might I find this flow chart you speak of? :)

• 2 weeks later...