Menu

9th grade writing question

Hi everyone!! I haven't been here in a long time. I have spent some time tonight catching up on some posts and would appreciate some help navigating these waters.

My oldest will be a 9th grader in the fall, always homeschooled. She was a reluctant writer, but she has really taken off with writing in the last two years, and I would even call her a very good writer now. The best part is that she LOVES writing, and it is her favorite subject. She's done WWS 1&2 and Creative Writer.

I'm wondering where to place her for next year. I've been leaning towards Lost Tools of Writing to try something different, but I'm torn between that and continuing with WWS 3. Any advice for me?

You might as well stick it out and do WWS3.  After that SWB is suggesting IEW Advanced Comm.  I got it and hope to have dd go through it this summer.  After that you're pretty much home free and able to do whatever you want.  (AP, rhetoric, just lots of using it, niched genre writing, whatever)

Hi everyone!! I haven't been here in a long time. I have spent some time tonight catching up on some posts and would appreciate some help navigating these waters.

My oldest will be a 9th grader in the fall, always homeschooled. She was a reluctant writer, but she has really taken off with writing in the last two years, and I would even call her a very good writer now. The best part is that she LOVES writing, and it is her favorite subject. She's done WWS 1&2 and Creative Writer.

I'm wondering where to place her for next year. I've been leaning towards Lost Tools of Writing to try something different, but I'm torn between that and continuing with WWS 3. Any advice for me?

Hey, nice to see you again!  I've been pretty scarce for the past year and a half or so, too!  It has been fun to catch up.

It is SO good to hear the news about your daughter!!

I have part of WWS3, as I was beta-testing it.  It is SO good, and there are new things coming up with it - it won't be redundant.  My rising 11th grader will be working on it (right now he's using the beta-test version, but I will purchase WWS 3 when it comes out since we don't have the rest of the weeks - I got very behind, arggghhh!), but he will finish partway through his Grade 11 year.  So then he will still have time to write and apply what he has learned, and to start a rhetoric study.  And it seems that I read somewhere that SWB said that levels 1-3 will contain all that she hoped to teach middle grade students before moving on to rhetoric study.  So, even if you did WWS 3, your daughter would still have three more years in which to apply those techniques and do a rhetoric study and apply those techniques, too.  All that to say, I recommend carrying on with WWS.   But you knew I'd say that, didn't you, heh heh.  :D

SWB's spring 2014 update about her writing programs:  http://downloads.peacehillpress.com/samples/pdf/WWEandWWSexplanation.pdf?utm_source=Catalog&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=Page%2B9&utm_campaign=2014%2BCatalog&page=10

Thanks, Colleen, for linking SWB's update.  I had not seen it before.  My 8th and 7th graders were using WWS 2 this year and we got behind and only got to week 20.  Next year they are taking an outside writing course that will focus on essays using Windows to the World and IEW's Elegant Essay.  I had thought my older ones would complete IEW Advanced Comm. when they were 10th graders.  Now I'm wondering if we should come back to WWS after this year off from it.  Could we pick up w/WWS 3 if we didn't finish WWS 2?  My kids are not enamored with it, but I think mostly because it goes so fast.  They may be more mature and ready for it in another year.

Thanks, Colleen, for linking SWB's update.  I had not seen it before.  My 8th and 7th graders were using WWS 2 this year and we got behind and only got to week 20.  Next year they are taking an outside writing course that will focus on essays using Windows to the World and IEW's Elegant Essay.  I had thought my older ones would complete IEW Advanced Comm. when they were 10th graders.  Now I'm wondering if we should come back to WWS after this year off from it.  Could we pick up w/WWS 3 if we didn't finish WWS 2?  My kids are not enamored with it, but I think mostly because it goes so fast.  They may be more mature and ready for it in another year.

I don't think I would pick up WWS 3 without finishing WWS 2.  It builds on what was learned previously.

I wrote about my thoughts on doing WWS in high school: 

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/512148-for-those-who-have-been-using-wws-for-high-school-or-who-are-finishing-it-coming-into-high-school/?p=5713804

A few years ago I had planned to be a little further along with the whole writing thing for high school, but I'm OK with the way things are going now.  I would rather my high schooler get this foundational stuff than to feel like we've skimmed over it.  He can always go further with whatever writing skills we don't get to now after high school since he knows how to study now.