Menu

Syllabus for Introduction to Lit Analysis - anyone?

That combines Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World.  Has anyone used it?

If so, was it straightforward to teach?  Was there enough guidance?  Was your student receptive?

I was looking at WttW and saw that it included that syllabus when you buy it, and then also realized that I already own TtC (but have only watched about half the videos and it's been gathering dust).

I'm wondering if maybe this is something I could do for 9th grade?  I'd really prefer just signing her up for a class that uses this, but that doesn't seem to exist. :glare:   But if the syllabus and the videos give enough hand-holding, maybe I could make it work??

That combines Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World.  Has anyone used it?

If so, was it straightforward to teach?  Was there enough guidance?  Was your student receptive?

I was looking at WttW and saw that it included that syllabus when you buy it, and then also realized that I already own TtC (but have only watched about half the videos and it's been gathering dust).

I'm wondering if maybe this is something I could do for 9th grade?  I'd really prefer just signing her up for a class that uses this, but that doesn't seem to exist. :glare:   But if the syllabus and the videos give enough hand-holding, maybe I could make it work??

I used the Jill Pike syllabus and WttW in a small coop group.  I think highly of WttW. I thought the stories chosen were engaging and gave a good basis for the introductory literary analysis practice. 

I didn't use Teaching the Classics, in part because the coop only met twice a month. (One of the changes I proposed for the following year's high school classes was to go back to weekly meetings.)  If I were doing the course just with my kids, I might consider using Teaching the Classics. Or I might just have them read the book How to Read Literature like a Professor and use that basis to read a couple more shorter novels. 

Having said that, my undergrad degree is in English literature. So most of the analysis concepts in the course were not new to me. I didn't have to think about what parallelism or symbolism or metaphor were.  I also have a lot of experience with editing papers, so I used the assignment rubrics to help me formalize how many points to take off, not to find areas in the papers needing improvement.  (That said, I thought the rubrics were pretty good. I made sure the students had a copy or a checklist that covered the rubric items to use when revising their papers.)  One thing that WttW helped me with is in keeping things bite sized for the students. Sometimes it's hard to remember that reading a book and picking up on subtleties can be a new and challenging skill for a less experienced reader.

No program is going to suit all students, teachers or situations. But I do think that WttW is pretty deserving of the recommendations it gets.