Menu

Science books

LikeToListen

I got a couple of evanmoor books on sale - All about animals and All about body.

My daughter loves those books.  I would love to get their other books in that series but they are so expensive.

What are your recommended books for a science time that is interactive but not overwhelming?  Something to talk about ocean, seasons, insects or weather?

I came across DK science books but that isn't for reading together.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

I know you said Nevermind, but have you looked at the Torchlight books?  Some of the pages are transparencies with a dark page behind them.  Then the book has a "paper flashlight" that you put between the transparency and the dark page and move around so that you can see what is on the transparency page.  DD seems to enjoy them.

I know you said Nevermind, but have you looked at the Torchlight books?  Some of the pages are transparencies with a dark page behind them.  Then the book has a "paper flashlight" that you put between the transparency and the dark page and move around so that you can see what is on the transparency page.  DD seems to enjoy them.

Thank you so much.  Simple and fascinating :)

We have several.  I was able to buy them used for $0.01 plus $3.99 shipping on Amazon.  
We particularly like the Body one.  That was our first one, from a garage sale.  Dinosaurs was good too.  One on Underwater creatures was good.  "Zoo at Night" was disappointing.  Dogs one was OK.  My library had a few.  

We have been liking the DK Animal Sticker Encyclopedia. The animals are broken up by category, and has some information on each featured animal. You find the matching sticker from the book to put in its slot. There are also a few pages of habitats and a bunch of extra animal stickers that they can use on the appropriate habitats. There are several other sticker books, I think mostly covering natural science. Also, The Cat in the Hat learning books and the Magic School Bus books cover science topics.

We're science reading book geeks...

The DK sticker encyclopedias are completely amazing.  

My kid adores the Magic School Bus books... I don't love them but hey - they make him giggle and learn... you can't beat that.  

There are the Let's Read and Find Out books, and the My True Books series that I've found great deals of vintage/used copies.  Do you have a library that sells discarded books?  Most of the great science/animal ones I've gotten from them for 10 or 25 cents each.  

My son was obsessed with some Wile E Coyote science books from our library.  They're for older students... but he liked them sort of as a read aloud...  

Shawthorne, or anyone else who's used Torchlight books, I ordered one used after reading this thread and it came without the actual torch. Grrr. So I'm trying to figure out how it's supposed to work...Can I reproduce it just by using a circle of white paper on a Popsicle stick? And then you just move it around under the transparency to reveal various bits of it?

Yeah, we got some that didn't have the torch, and we got some that came with a torch and the torch has since been lost.  
It truly is just a white circle at the end of stiff paper.  White circle is maybe 1" diameter.  

We sometimes use a torch from one of the other books.  Other times we just use an index card.  The only downside to the index card is that sometimes you have to move it around to see the words nearby.  Like the body book has microscope pictures of body parts.  I needed the label to know which was muscle which was bone, etc.  The nice thing about the index card is that you can put the whole thing in there, and see things you missed.  

And then you just move it around under the transparency to reveal various bits of it?

Yes, that is it.  I found it worked best to let DD move it around and say, "What is that".  It was terribly exciting for her.  I think that there is something about the process of her asking and me answering that helps with comprehension.