Menu

ck-12- any users? how does it work?

Hi,

I just found ck-12 again!  I have known about it but just never took the time to really review it.  I am looking for some suggestions on how people have used this resource.  Has anyone made their own "textbook" there?  I am looking specifically for physics for 7-8 grade and I really haven't found any other resource that I am excited about.  But it looks like it might take a lot of work to create my own text book for physics...???!!!

Just looking for some input-ANY input about this resource!!!!

Thanks ahead of time for your wisdom!

pam

We have used the Life Science Flexbook for Middle School.  Downloaded it from Amazon for the Kindle.  They now have more to the website: worksheets, quizzes, braingenie.  Those weren't there when we started a little over a year ago, and we haven't really used them.  The Flexbook has gotten the job done, though.  Torn between the Flexbook for Earth Science and RS4K Geology and Astronomy for next year.  Price wise the free Flexbook is the way to go, but dd said it was a little boring so she would like to try something different.  She would really like to use Supercharged Science, but it's too expensive for us.

We used some of the CK-12 Earth Science this spring alongside the 2003 update o The Sea Around Us by Rachel Carson, a biography of Rachel Carson, and the DVD American Experience: Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. I just went to ck12.org/browse and clicked on science and then Earth Science. Once there, I clicked on whatever topic I wanted, and we used some of the stuff available. ;)

HTH-

Mandy

Jenn from guesthollow.com created her own textbook for her biology program (she has it available on her site for free)   I've used some of their text books and my kids like them well enough. The cost is certainly right!

edit for clarity.....her site has her biology curriculum for free and she has a link to her ck-12 textbook.

Guest CK-12 Foundation

Hey everyone! My name is Laura Ringer and I am the Marketing Manager at CK-12. I'm so happy to hear about all of you using CK-12!

Thousands of teachers have created customized Flexbooks on ck12.org. If you'd like to be connected to someone who has created their own Flexbook, feel free to email me at laura.ringer@ck12.org. I'd be happy to put you in contact with another user.

For more information on how educators are using CK-12, you can check out our case studies here: http://www.ck12.org/about/category/case-studies/

Thanks again for all your support! It's users like you who make CK-12 great.

I don't like it when they do that.  Makes me feel like a teenager and we were "gossiping" about someone then the teacher walks by.

Anyway, I love CK-12, I even have it on my favorites bar.  I tried making my own flexbook, for me it wasn't flexible enough.  I could pull modules but I couldn't edit what was written.... maybe I missed that somewhere?  What I really like about them is the huge amount of lessons available with video links.  In the past I have spent way to much time searching for video's to illustrate a particular point, now I just use CK12. I will also use the short text lessons and I love, love, the study guides, even as a stand alone they're great.