Menu

Dive DVDs for BJ Physical Science or BJ DVD?

Guest dnzlawrence

Guest dnzlawrence

I need help. Should I use Saxon Dive DVDs for Bob Jones Physical Science, or just use the Bob Jones DVD? Which one is better?

And is the student required to watch the BJ DVD & read the lesson?

Thanks for your help!

We've never used the Bob Jones DVD's, but keep in mind that they have a lecture for every lesson.  Some people find that too time-consuming.  That was the big downside for me, and mine weren't fond of the ones we watched at a friend's house.

We're in our third year of DIVE science, and are very happy.  The lectures are very concise (one per lesson).  They have reading, other lesson materials, and video labs.  For the labs that are doable at home, we use those.  I've used Earth Science, Physical Science, Biology, and Chemistry.

For chemistry we mostly used Landry Academy intensive labs, but did a few at home.  We also watched the DIVE chemistry lab videos.  Using Landry for the labs was actually less expensive than buying everything because I signed up way ahead of time.  I own a lot of lab equipment because I have taught local science classes, and so we could do a few of them at home, but the DIVE labs for chemistry are a little intense. 

We are not continuing DIVE for physics because I don't like Saxon Physics.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted to know, but DIVE isn't that common on these boards.

They're both good, so let your student watch them and see if he has a preference.  With the BJU dvds, you'll get Mr. Harmon, who talks slowly but is very funny and energetic.  When dd used the videos, I'd come in and see Mr. Harmon literally hanging from the ceiling!  A total hoot.  The lessons will be *longer* than the DIVE lessons, and yes there will be more of them.  It will be more closely aligned to the text.  

With DIVE, from what I can tell so far watching the samples, you have a talking screen with magic text, no face.  For some people that's fine and for some people it's a problem.  The lessons I think are 30 vs. 45.  I think we may use DIVE for biology.  The shorter lessons, more concise coverage, and internet links for text all will be a good fit for my student I think.  But when I looked at DIVE in previous years, the talking magic screen would *not* have been a good fit.  It's all just really personal.

On a side note, take the math background requirement of the BJU physical science pretty seriously if you're going to do the full course with the BJU dvds.  Some kids fly through it, but if the kid has a weak background or struggles, it's gonna kick their butt.  The math is mainly in the labs, but it's pretty stiff.  I helped my dd through it and am glad we did it.  I'm just saying when you see poor reviews, that's usually what's going on, that the math is swamping them.

I have the online version.  I thought I wouldn't like it, but other than the video section, it has all tests and quizzes online, a schedule of what to do that day online, the TM online to check answers, and a place where I can input all of his grades on labs and review questions.  Then, after all that is done, it gives me a grade!  It's very teacher friendly.  It is time consuming for my ds, but he really is learning well with this program.  My only problem is that if he answers a question on a review a little differently, I have no idea if it is right or wrong because all of this is soooo over my head.

Beth

Does your child like "fun", sometimes "silly"? Or do they prefer their science straight up? BJUP Life Science video did not work here, way too silly for my ds11. My now 21 year old did really well with DIVE for chemistry and physics and if I have to choose one or the other going forward I would choose DIVE.