Menu

Okay, exactly how many of us have gone over to the dark side?

There was a lot I didn't take time to understand, admittedly.

This would be why...I could agree that you are knowledgable about it IF you took time to understand and refuted those points vs the feely "it didn't resonate with my spirit". (and I don't say that snarky, I mean that one should be objective, not subjective)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be why...I could agree that you are knowledgable about it IF you took time to understand and refuted those points vs the feely "it didn't resonate with my spirit". (and I don't say that snarky, I mean that one should be objective, not subjective)

:iagree: I gotta agree with mommaduck on this one.

I can honestly say that every single person who has personally given me a hard time about my Calvinist beliefs has not actually studied it for themselves. They usually go off hear-say, or a personal feeling of what they believe God would or would not do. It has never once been due to a personal, thorough study of the five points using biblical scripture.

If one wants to really know what Calvinists believe, one might try and read a book from an actual Calvinist. James White's The Potters Freedom might be a good one, though it is rather deep for a beginning study on Calvinism. It is a rebuttal to a book by Norman Geisler called Chosen But Free. I have read both. Unfortunately, Geisler took so many scriptures out of context, as well as a few where he claimed they said something when they clearly didn't at ALL, that he lost much credibility with me very early on in his book. One just reading it and taking his word on what the scriptures say would think it was right-on, but if you read the scriptures quoted for yourself WITHIN context [meaning reading the before and after scriptures, as well as who the scriptures are written too] you would find some glaring errors. I actually found myself getting angry that he was handling the Word so badly as I truly wanted to see his point of view and really delve into why he believes as he does. Instead I wanted to throw the book across the room. :w00t: You will see a huge difference in how Geisler & White handle the word of God. White wins hands-down in my opinion. ;)

Another simple book that will give you a very basic understanding of Calvinism is Chosen by God by RC Sproul (Geisler's Chosen But Free is actually a rebuttal of Chosen by God! lol) There are, of course, other great authors. One book I really enjoyed was Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Who Does What in Salvation? by Michael Horton. And my all time favorite classic is AW Pink's The Sovereignty of God.

Well, I could go on and on...so I won't. ;) I just suggest if anyone truly wants to know how Calvinists think, and why they think the way they do...that one should read a few books by some of them. They are great theologians. You might be surprised at how much sense Calvinism makes, and how biblical is really is. :D