Menu

Okay, exactly how many of us have gone over to the dark side?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm talking reformed/Calvinistic?

We've been on the reformed road for 15 years. You know, newly reformed Christians need to be locked in a cage for the first two years, to avoid offending everyone else. I'm talking rabid reformed. Takes a while to calm down.

I grew up in a PCUSA church, so I have been exposed to reformed teaching since childhood. In college, I went to Baptist Student Union and attended a Christian (DOC) church, and lived fully to the gratification of my flesh, having no idea what denominational distinctives were.

Within the last 4 years, I have studied and come to an understanding of what Calvinism is, what Reformed means, and while I am Calvinist in my soteriological beliefs, I've not taken on all the trappings of the reformed faith. Our church practices credobaptism, teaches dispensational eschatology, and is part of the Evangelical Free Church.

Should I still be locked up? :D

I was raised reformed, but kind of keep it to myself. I went to a non-reformed Christian college and now go to a non-denom church. I don't like to get into it with people because I don't think it is a saved/not saved issue and just upsets people. To me the big thing is whether you believe that Christ on the Cross did all the work for salvation or did we have something to do with it. I think a lot of non-Calvinists don't really know or understand what they believe. But I don't like to make it my job to explain it to them. The older my kids get, I sometimes wonder if I would like to go to a reformed church, but so far we don't.

I grew up in a PCUSA church, so I have been exposed to reformed teaching since childhood. In college, I went to Baptist Student Union and attended a Christian (DOC) church, and lived fully to the gratification of my flesh, having no idea what denominational distinctives were.

Within the last 4 years, I have studied and come to an understanding of what Calvinism is, what Reformed means, and while I am Calvinist in my soteriological beliefs, I've not taken on all the trappings of the reformed faith. Our church practices credobaptism, teaches dispensational eschatology, and is part of the Evangelical Free Church.

Hmm, possibly. I guess I should say I'm a lifer too, because I grew up in the Episcopal church before it started changing in the 70s. I remember the day my church slipped. But dh grew up in an Baptist church, and it took him a while to get over it.

We tried to attend a PCUSA church nearby, but the pastor isn't reformed so it didn't work. We're back at our good ol PCA again. Further, but worth it, and we get to see BlueLobster too!

I guess I don't really understand why it's such a big issue to some people. I remember this teacher who led a Bible study I attended while in high school, *warning* us strongly to beware of "Calvinists" when we went off to college. She made it sound like they were total brainwashing heretics, and I had no reason not to believe her.

I went off to Bible college, and was shocked after several months there to learn that pretty much all of my teachers were "Calvinists"! However, once it was explained, I saw the biblical basis for election, and came to understand salvation in that way. I didn't see it as a huge radical shift from what I had believed prior to that. I always knew that God had a huge role in helping me to believe, and that I was blinded by sin in the past, so it wasn't a big leap to believe that God was completely responsible for helping me to believe.

I don't label myself a "Calvinist," or even "Reformed," not for any particular reason, but I don't consider it my *identity* the way some people seem to. I'm a Christian, and my theology falls along those lines, but it's not understanding that particular doctrine that saves me. I'm no more of a Christian than I was when I was in high school and thought that Calvinism was evil. :tongue_smilie: I think my understanding is more accurate now, that's all.

My church isn't labeled as Calvinistic or Reformed, but our pastors' theology does lean in that direction. It's somewhat important to me that our pastors believe likewise, but I don't think it would be make or break in choosing a church, unless the pastors actually spoke out *against* election, etc., in which case I would be uncomfortable.

Erica

Yes, I'm talking reformed/Calvinistic?

We've been on the reformed road for 15 years. You know, newly reformed Christians need to be locked in a cage for the first two years, to avoid offending everyone else. I'm talking rabid reformed. Takes a while to calm down.

You must go read this: http://purgatorio1.com/?p=128

I remember this teacher who led a Bible study I attended while in high school, *warning* us strongly to beware of "Calvinists" when we went off to college. She made it sound like they were total brainwashing heretics, and I had no reason not to believe her.

Erica

You are getting sleepy......sleeeeeeeepy........

I guess I don't really understand why it's such a big issue to some people. I remember this teacher who led a Bible study I attended while in high school, *warning* us strongly to beware of "Calvinists" when we went off to college. She made it sound like they were total brainwashing heretics, and I had no reason not to believe her.

I went off to Bible college, and was shocked after several months there to learn that pretty much all of my teachers were "Calvinists"! However, once it was explained, I saw the biblical basis for election, and came to understand salvation in that way. I didn't see it as a huge radical shift from what I had believed prior to that. I always knew that God had a huge role in helping me to believe, and that I was blinded by sin in the past, so it wasn't a big leap to believe that God was completely responsible for helping me to believe.

I don't label myself a "Calvinist," or even "Reformed," not for any particular reason, but I don't consider it my *identity* the way some people seem to. I'm a Christian, and my theology falls along those lines, but it's not understanding that particular doctrine that saves me. I'm no more of a Christian than I was when I was in high school and thought that Calvinism was evil. :tongue_smilie: I think my understanding is more accurate now, that's all.

My church isn't labeled as Calvinistic or Reformed, but our pastors' theology does lean in that direction. It's somewhat important to me that our pastors believe likewise, but I don't think it would be make or break in choosing a church, unless the pastors actually spoke out *against* election, etc., in which case I would be uncomfortable.

Erica

Very well stated. I concur.

I guess I don't really understand why it's such a big issue to some people.

I don't, either, which is why this thread kinda confuses me.

I don't label myself a "Calvinist," or even "Reformed," not for any particular reason, but I don't consider it my *identity* the way some people seem to.

Yep. I live in Reformed central, land of many a Dordt and Calvin alum. First CRC, Second CRC, Third CRC, Bethel CRC, Sonlight CRC, First Reformed, Faith Reformed, ~ to name just a few churches that lie within a few blocks of one another. (Not to mention the myriad of other churches.) If Garrison Keillor enjoys playing off the Minnesota Lutherans (and he does;)), he'd have a heyday with the Dutch Reformed in this neck o' the woods. It's most certainly an identifying factor for many of my friends. And then there are those who grew up with it and have moved into a more evangelical (for lack of a better word) frame of mind.

Any-hoo. My own non-denominational Chapel began many years ago as a mission outreach of a Reformed church. Our Pastor is PCA and attended Westminster. We have members who embrace Calvinism and others who...don't. I contentedly call myself a Christian, just as I contentedly call myself a political Independent.:)

What a funny thread! And I was told reformed folks did not have a sense of humor.

Let's see- my dad is a Southern Baptist pastor but has always taught reformed doctrine. Now hubby and I go to a Orthodox Pres. Church, but we are the "weird" ones.... I love to raise my hands while singing, believe that the Holy Spirit speaks to us today, and we both have a few tattoos and so forth... sure put most of our congregation on the defensive! We love em' though and they love us back.

OK- here's a joke for you all:

What did Calvin say when he fell down the stairs?

"Thank Goodness *that's* over with!"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, reformed people are not so common in other parts of the country. I am in the extreme minority of Protestants in my area of the country. But the reason it is interesting to me is that those doctrines do seem to be undergoing a bit of a Renaissance, especially among younger Baptist and Bible Church people.

The doctrines are dear to my heart because it clarified so much for me that caused me angst, heartache, and confusion when I was younger and not reformed. I understand why they may be less important to others.

I don't, either, which is why this thread kinda confuses me.

Yep. I live in Reformed central, land of many a Dordt and Calvin alum. First CRC, Second CRC, Third CRC, Bethel CRC, Sonlight CRC, First Reformed, Faith Reformed, ~ to name just a few churches that lie within a few blocks of one another. (Not to mention the myriad of other churches.) If Garrison Keillor enjoys playing off the Minnesota Lutherans (and he does;)), he'd have a heyday with the Dutch Reformed in this neck o' the woods. It's most certainly an identifying factor for many of my friends. And then there are those who grew up with it and have moved into a more evangelical (for lack of a better word) frame of mind.

Any-hoo. My own non-denominational Chapel began many years ago as a mission outreach of a Reformed church. Our Pastor is PCA and attended Westminster. We have members who embrace Calvinism and others who...don't. I contentedly call myself a Christian, just as I contentedly call myself a political Independent.:)

I'm not reformed and I don't go to a reformed church. I just like and agree with most reformed teachings, reformed speakers, reformed articles, etc. But since the church I love isn't exactly reformed, and I only make a few of those Calvinist points, I don't officially qualify.

Reformed here and have been for 16/17 years. We currently attend a PCA plant church although our current pastor is an OPC minister preaching out of bounds.

I really hate it that I can very rarely reveal this part of myself to my Chrisitan friends without them ceasing to be my friend. I listen to all manner of talk about the perspectives of my non-reformed friends but the minute I bring up my Reformed doctrines, it's like I grew a third eye.:confused:

Oh well, now that I'm "out of the closet" here, I hope the nice comments and chatting don't stop.:tongue_smilie:

those doctrines do seem to be undergoing a bit of a Renaissance, especially among younger Baptist and Bible Church people.

Interesting comment... very true. Don't know if you've been following it or not but the current leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention is fighting to "cross" it over to reformed. The Bible churches that come out of Dallas Theological Seminary are influenced in that direction by people like Tommy Nelson.

Its kind of like the new "thing" sweeping these churches.

Yep, we were Baptist, and it all started with a youth pastor who had studied under Al Mohler, then it progressed to RC Sproul books...yadda...yadda

Sweeping generalization here, but it does seem to appeal more to the younger folks, many of whom got tired of singing the same 3 Fanny Crosby hymns and walking the aisle multiple times just to be sure. Not that I know anything about that myself...:glare:

Just for the record, I know FC was a dear, sweet, Christian, blind lady, and I am not trying to insult her at all. You can only sing "Just As I Am" so many times, ya know?

Lock me up with you, sister. My church is like what you describe, except it's not part of the EFC. We're part of the IFCA.

I attend a Baptist church that believes in the "Doctrines of Grace," commonly known as the five points of Calvinism. We do not use the term reformed to describe our beliefs because we believe that God, in his sovereignty, has kept His church intact from the beginning and that there was never a time in history since the first church in Jerusalem when there was not a true Christ-centered, Holy Spirit regenerated church. In other words, it was not a matter of reforming the church, but rather preserving the church.

Okay, in a couple of short sentences and using words of one syllable, what is "reformed"? I've never heard of it.

Thanks,

RC

Oh dear, I'm not smart enough to put it in a couple of sentences. I could throw out a couple of words and watch the fur fly.............nah.