Menu

Excellence in Literature - 5 course binder?

I can't decide if ordering all 5 sets in one binder from the EIL website is a more convenient way to use this curriculum or if it is better to have the individual spiral bound copies.  Has anyone here purchased the large set?  If so, how has that worked for you?

Thanks

I have the 5 course binder. I prefer to have it all in one binder since we will not be using the lessons in order.  We will be matching books with our history curriculum, which this year will be a semester of Medieval and a semester of the Renaissance.  We will choose books from across the whole curriculum, so it will be easier for her to find the lesson in a binder than from individual spiral bound books.  Plus I hope to sell it when we are done with it and it won't incur shelf wear in the binder. They do say on the website that you don't have to do them in order, but the classes do get harder as you go.  Reading and writing are my daughter's strongest skills, so I'm not worried about doing the lessons out of order.  She did two of them as practice at the end of this year (8th grade) and did an excellent job on what I felt were hard books, Julius Caesar and Ivanhoe.

I did not buy it all at once, but I do have all 5 in one binder. We use literature chronologically with our history and it was difficult to pick which EIL guide to use

I enjoy the flexibility and pick 8-9 books from the guides to use.

I think it is worth the purchase

I have the 5 course binder. I prefer to have it all in one binder since we will not be using the lessons in order.  We will be matching books with our history curriculum, which this year will be a semester of Medieval and a semester of the Renaissance.  We will choose books from across the whole curriculum, so it will be easier for her to find the lesson in a binder than from individual spiral bound books.  Plus I hope to sell it when we are done with it and it won't incur shelf wear in the binder. They do say on the website that you don't have to do them in order, but the classes do get harder as you go.  Reading and writing are my daughter's strongest skills, so I'm not worried about doing the lessons out of order.  She did two of them as practice at the end of this year (8th grade) and did an excellent job on what I felt were hard books, Julius Caesar and Ivanhoe.

I did not buy it all at once, but I do have all 5 in one binder. We use literature chronologically with our history and it was difficult to pick which EIL guide to use

I enjoy the flexibility and pick 8-9 books from the guides to use.

I think it is worth the purchase

I just want to make sure I completely understand the binder layout.  The 5 courses are completely unbound and divided within a 3 ring binder?  Is that correct?  I am leaning toward that option.  By the time I pay shipping, it will be slightly more expensive but the binder could be convenient.

I bought a 3 inch binder to put them in. I printed the pdf's and took the binding off the books I already had. They are in the binder according to EIL scope and sequence (which I have as the main cover).

It was a little less expensive doing it this way. If I did it over again I would have purchased the full curriculum from EIL website

• 2 weeks later...

I just got mine and yes, it is all 3-hole punched and in a 3-ring binder with tabs.  What's nice about it is that I can keep the original for me and make a copy of each section for DD to use as we need them over the years.  That way, it should still be usable when DS is ready, too.