Menu

Recipes for world peace

LibraryLover

ThisIsTheDay- I have a few more lbs that I think I can reasonably loose, so cheese is out for now. Today, I am thinking about all foods Mexican. I thought this sounded blissful, even without cheese, and stuffed with avo and a bit of shredded chicken.

Ah . . . now you have me thinking of a lovely avocado salad, which is just cubed avocado and a dressing that includes lime juice, oil and cilantro. 

When I make giant Chipotle-style burritos later this week, you are welcome to come and have a naked burrito and skip the cheese.

:)

They won't care they're vegan tacos

Beans (black, pinto, small red, or lentils) 2 cans will be great or if you are using freshly cooked beans you will need approximately 4 cups. Either way, drain, rinse and let them sit a few minutes in a colander to drain some more. If you are using seitan or tempeh, you will need at least 16 oz.

Taco shells or tortillas I'm not giving any amounts here because you are smart enough to figure this out for yourself. It's always a good idea to have a bunch on hand so just estimate and then make sure you have extra.

1 1/2 cups of water

2 tbsp coconut or olive oil. Any oil will do, you are simply keeping things moving around the pan nicely but let's choose the tasty, healthy ones, okay?

Taco seasoning You can buy the container of taco seasoning, it's no big deal. You can also make your own with chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, black pepper and paprika. I'm leaving out the onion powder and garlic powder some people add because it is yummier to actually cook the onions and the garlic into the beans, seitan or tempeh. Start with a 1/4 tsp of each of these except the cumin, you may want a little more. Mix it all together in a little bowl and set aside.

1 tbsp chopped garlic

1 large yellow onion

Shredded cabbage

avocado

fresh salsa

Vegan aoli with a little adobe sauce from the can of chilis with adobe sauce. If you like it hot, you can chop up a teensy bit of that chili and let it sit in there. If you need to know how to make the vegan aoli, please search this blog, it's down a ways.

Add the oil to a heated pan then immediately add the chopped onion. Cook until the onion is translucent and add a tbsp of minced garlic, cooking for about a minute more. Add the beans, lentils, tempeh or seitan and stir together. Add a the 1 1/2 cups of water and gently stir in the taco seasoning you've lovingly put together. Cook on med/low until the water is mostly cooked out and the mixture is a thick. Set aside.

Warm your tortillas or taco shells

Fill the tortillas or shells with a couple of tablespoons of the beans, lentils, tempeh or seitan. Top with shredded cabbage, avocado, salsa and the super fantastic aoli mixture with which you've once again astonished everyone.