Menu

What makes a successful day & What is good for you/your family?

Michelle My Bell

This is actually a two part question. I was thinking this morning about how I spend so much of my time doing useless activities, I don't spend enough time in meaningful activities with the kids, etc... So I started to think about things that I have done in the past that made for what felt like a successful day. It wasn't just work activities, it was a number of different factors. So my first question is...

What needs to happen in order for you to lay your head down at night and say, "That was a successful day"?

Some of my answers would be...

• getting up early
  • exercising
  • reading my Bible
  • Working around the house
  • Teaching my kids
  • Loving on my kids

My second question is then...

What is good for you? / your kids?

Some of my answers would be...

ME

• Exercise
  • Limiting time on electronics
  • Eating well
  • Being organized
  • Reading to and loving on my kids
  • Working alongside my kids in meaningful activities
  • Reading my Bible 

KIDS

• Time spent outdoors in nature
  • Healthy eating choices
  • Consistency
  • Expectations
  • Play 
  • Daily time reading

This is actually a two part question. I was thinking this morning about how I spend so much of my time doing useless activities, I don't spend enough time in meaningful activities with the kids, etc... So I started to think about things that I have done in the past that made for what felt like a successful day. It wasn't just work activities, it was a number of different factors. So my first question is...

What needs to happen in order for you to lay your head down at night and say, "That was a successful day"?

<snip>

What is good for you? / your kids?

<snip>

A good day here is one in which we work a little, play a little, make progress on some sort of project.  (One of my kids works on models; my daughter does art; I like to sew or do cross-stitch.)    A good  homeschool day is one where I can see my kids progressed in their knowledge and understanding of the world, whether it be progress in history, Latin, math... whatever. 

It doesn't matter so much how early we get up as how rested we are, and how much we get done.  Sometimes I will get up very early but spend too much frivolous time on the computer.  That starts the day off poorly for me. 

My kids are teens but they still like it when we have a read-aloud going, either something for school or something for fun.  So reading together helps make it a good day.

When the dishes are done, the kitchen is reasonably clean, and enough laundry is done so that no one is looking for socks, I can go to bed more easily and more relaxed though certainly that's not all it takes to say "it was a good day."

Usually, what is good for me is good for my kids/family, because then they have a healthy mom (emotionally, mentally, spiritually).

So although I don't really use the term "successful day," I'd say one where I've taken care of my responsibilities (house, work, being emotionally present with my child and hubby), listened to God's ideas of how my day should go and tried to fit into that instead of trying to fit him into my day, had some fun and laughter, and didn't give in to things like overeating/gossiping/complaining w/o reason.