Menu

Beast Academy 4A

mom2vikha

Hi Laides,

My DD8 finished MM4. We both are bored of MM. We would like to switch to BA. Is it ok if she starts from BA 4A? She passed the placement test but I am wondering if we would miss out on things. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I don't know...  If he's a fast worker, then yeah, if you can swing it, go back and do a few of the weirder sections and some of the puzzle things and skip around.  But if your kid is like mine, even skipping stuff in BA 3 would take months and months.  How about...  if you can swing it, get the guides (they'll resell very well, especially if you hardly use them), and read them together and maybe play around with some of the concepts that they introduce...  for example with pentaminos, you can find online pentamino puzzles.  And then dive right in with 4A.

I don't know...  If he's a fast worker, then yeah, if you can swing it, go back and do a few of the weirder sections and some of the puzzle things and skip around.  But if your kid is like mine, even skipping stuff in BA 3 would take months and months.  How about...  if you can swing it, get the guides (they'll resell very well, especially if you hardly use them), and read them together and maybe play around with some of the concepts that they introduce...  for example with pentaminos, you can find online pentamino puzzles.  And then dive right in with 4A.

She is fast worker. I might just follow your suggestion and get the guides. Use it as summer work and do some puzzle type problems and get 4A for the school year. :) Thank you so much. Is it standalone though? Should I supplement with CWP, IP etc ?

She is fast worker. I might just follow your suggestion and get the guides. Use it as summer work and do some puzzle type problems and get 4A for the school year. :) Thank you so much. Is it standalone though? Should I supplement with CWP, IP etc ?

Guides don't have problem sets, just concepts explained. You could just look at TOC of grade 3 series and pick the ones you are most interested in. I don't think you get close to half the value of BA without practice books.

I got to look at one of my friend's BA 3 books and my DD loves it. My friend says it is not as good as Singapore. Is it true? But I love the looks of BA and my DD thinks it is super fun. Thoughts? Can BA be a standalone without CWP or IP and without MM pages or should I stick with MM,CWP and IP like we do now?

I disagree that it isn't as good as BA, but since your friend was simply stating an opinion, mine is no more valuable than hers. More importantly, what do *you* think? Since you know your child, your opinion matters most.

Yes, it can be used on its own without MM, CWP, or IP- for some kids. We just do a lot of math, so BA alone wouldn't be enough. It has a lot of easy problems and a lot of challenging ones, but I like that MM offers more if the in-between challenge level AND it keeps us learning while we wait for the next BA book to be released.

Hope that helps.

I got to look at one of my friend's BA 3 books and my DD loves it. My friend says it is not as good as Singapore. Is it true? But I love the looks of BA and my DD thinks it is super fun. Thoughts? Can BA be a standalone without CWP or IP and without MM pages or should I stick with MM,CWP and IP like we do now?

It's just different from Singapore.  It's not better or worse.  That's a silly statement to me.  It's better for some kids and worse for others.  It covers the same core material.  Beast is stronger on puzzles and getting kids to discover principles and learn through patience with trying different things.  Singapore is better with word problems and is a little more laid out and straightforward (though, obviously, that's relative since it's nowhere near as incremental as Math Mammoth or some other programs).

I think anyone doing Beast as a standalone would be well served to practice word problems a little more - whether with the CWP, Process Skills in Problem Solving, or an Ed Zaccaro book.  But Beast does have word problems and some kids don't need as much practice.  In general, Beast has less practice because it's meant for kids who are a little accelerated.