Menu

How do you use Word Wealth Junior?

Mrs Twain

Does anyone use this book for vocabulary?  

If so, how do you use it?

For what grade(s)?

How much do you cover per lesson and how long does it take?

I just received a copy of the student book today.  I am impressed.  After a skim through, I think I may use it over 6th, 7th and 8th grades, doing one part (25 units) per year.  Or should I move through it faster so we could start on the next book (Word Wealth) sometime in 8th?  Or is Word Wealth for high school?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

Okay, I know nothing about this program except...  It's the vocabulary program of the main character in Countdown by Deborah Wiles, which we're reading right now.  It's a historical novel about a girl's experiences during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Every time she uses a big word she says, "Thank you, Word Wealth Junior."

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Anyone else have thoughts?

I am trying to find a teacher's manual, but it doesn't look like there is one for sale in the whole world.  

Did you end up creating your own answer key, or just improvise and discuss after each lesson?

Did you end up creating your own answer key, or just improvise and discuss after each lesson?

I sit next to my son and figure out the answers, discussing it with him. This has been a great way to do the lesson since orally talking through the new words is generally the most effective way to learn vocabulary.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread to ask if anyone has ever found an answer key or TE for this book? I didn't end up finishing the one I was creating about a year ago (I think I did only the first 10 lessons before getting distracted ).

I really love this little text and it would fit my goals for DD11/12 perfectly for the next couple years, but I don't see myself using it with her if I don't have a way to quickly check her work.

I waffle back and forth regarding the merit of studying vocabulary as a distinct 'subject' apart from reading good books. This book seems to be a reasonable half-way point between the extremes of (1) learning vocabulary only in the context of well-written fiction & non-fiction and (2) using a workbook-based, easily checked/tested vocabulary 'program'. There would be no way to work through WWJ and NOT develop a deep and wide understanding of words and their use in English. I think it would be time well-spent during the middle school years, perhaps, arguably, an even better use of time than studying Latin. Or maybe that's just me trying to justify that I am not teaching her Latin.  :lol:

• Like 1

No TM that I could ever locate. I looked for a long time.

It is better not to have a TM, though. The way you grade the WWJ assignments is to sit next to your child with his completed paper and the book, and then talk through each question aloud. Hearing vocabulary spoken aloud in its context is the way kids learn vocabulary. Merely having kids reading and writing the words is not very effective.

• Like 2

No TM that I could ever locate. I looked for a long time.

It is better not to have a TM, though. The way you grade the WWJ assignments is to sit next to your child with his completed paper and the book, and then talk through each question aloud. Hearing vocabulary spoken aloud in its context is the way kids learn vocabulary. Merely having kids reading and writing the words is not very effective.

I took the book along to an appointment today, and after skimming it thoroughly, I reached the exact same conclusion.

Thanks for stopping in to share your experience. Do you feel like one lesson per week is a do-able pace?

My best guess is WWJ is meant for middle school years. It contains 75 lessons (I think...), which could easily be spread over 6th-8th grades at 25 lessons per year with some extra weeks for review.

My DD did the first 10 lessons last summer, but it was challenging for her (she was 10 and entering 5th, but quite strong in language arts). I think we may try to finish the remaining lessons at a rate of one per week, for about 33 weeks over each of the next two years.

Prior to this, we've done some Wordly Wise, one year of Vocabulary from Classical Roots, and the vocab picture cards included with 2 IEW Theme books. Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, she reads many books and listens to loads of audio books. Basically, I've taken a kitchen sink approach.

• Like 1

I use WWJ for 6th-8th grades, one third of the book per year.

Before that I use Vocabulary Workshop workbooks which I think are pretty good. It is best to orally discuss when grading, same as with WWJ.

We also try to talk about new words as they come up in reading and life.