Menu

Has anyone had a chance to look through or use both Latin Prep and SYRWTL Latin?

Melissa B

I am using Latin Prep with my dd10 and I do like it. But my dd8 is doing Lively Latin and I am thinking of doing Lively Latin I and II in 3rd and 4th for my next three and then moving into SYRWTL Latin I,II,III in 5th - 7th. I like the layout of information on the left pages and exercises on the right and I'm afraid much of Latin Prep I will have already been covered after Lively Latin II. Does anyone have a preference between the two programs? I know SYRWTL Latin moves faster, but we could spend more than a year on each book if necessary. Any reviews of SYRWTL Latin?

I own Latin Prep 1, 2, 3 and SY Latin 3. I definitely prefer Latin Prep, even for older students (high school students, who could just take the course a bit faster). The content of the two courses is very similar, so you wouldn't skip any review after using Lively Latin, but the presentation in Latin Prep (both explanations and layout) is much more accessible.

Best wishes

Laura

SY 3 both reinforces and extends LP 3. The author thinks it should take about half a year, rather than a full year, for a pupil who has finished LP3. The SY books move faster, being designed for older pupils, so they get a bit further in Latin than does LP over the course of three books.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I was without internet for a few days.

Best wishes

Laura

I am using Latin Prep with my dd10 and I do like it. But my dd8 is doing Lively Latin and I am thinking of doing Lively Latin I and II in 3rd and 4th for my next three and then moving into SYRWTL Latin I,II,III in 5th - 7th. I like the layout of information on the left pages and exercises on the right and I'm afraid much of Latin Prep I will have already been covered after Lively Latin II. Does anyone have a preference between the two programs? I know SYRWTL Latin moves faster, but we could spend more than a year on each book if necessary. Any reviews of SYRWTL Latin?

I liked the slower pace and greater number of exercises in Latin Prep. SYRWTLL is still an excellent program, but my opinion is that it would be better for either a highly motivated older student, or would require more time in direct teaching from me, possibly to the extent of coming up with practice exercises. My kids would almost certainly have needed more practice than what was in the book.