Menu

Explore testing

4ofus

Quick question ~ I noticed on this board, several folks have mentioned that this year was the last year the Explore would be offered.  When I look at the Duke Tips website it doesn't make any mention of this.

Can someone direct me to some current information?

Thanks.

**Update** Email received from Duke TIP in post #6.

I haven't heard anything yet about whether the talent searches that currently use the EXPLORE will be transitioning to the ASPIRE. I also haven't heard anything about whether the Davidson Young Scholar program will accept ASPIRE scores for eligibility the way they currently accept the EXPLORE.

My son is taking the Explore tomorrow through individual assessment. It requires a certified teacher who is not a family member and for the test to be administered in a school, not your residence. A library might work, but we had access to a school so it wasn't necessary to ask. In establishing this test option for my son, I mentioned the lack of test option after this year. The testing center director told me that College Board was saying individual administrations would be allowed next year, just not whole school testing. She said the information she had received was vague, but to call again and ask in the fall. She directly implied that she was frustrated with the lack of information being sent out to the various programs that rely on the Explore testing. As such, she could not provide much firm or specific info until the fall at best.

We went through Belin-Blank out of Iowa. You could call and check. The testing woman is named Mellissa. She was wonderful.

I emailed Duke TIP & this is the response I received this morning:

"Talent Search programs(including Duke TIP) will not offer the Act Aspire test as an above-grade-level learning opportunity until at least the fall of 2015-2016.  By agreement with ACT, all Talent Search programs will offer the EXPLORE for the 2014-2015 school year.  There are several operational changes that will need to be made (including provisions for a longer test)prior to introduction of the Aspire assessment and we will be working to provide a seamless conversion in the future

Thank you for your inquiry,"