Menu

BJU Biology

My dc are completing Apologia General Science now.  I plan on using Apologia Physical Science next year.  I want to move into biology next, and I have tentatively decided on BJU Biology.  According to BJU, this is a 10th grade subject.  Have any of you completed BJU Biology in 9th grade without having used BJU sciences prior to the biology course?

Thanks!

I have used some BJU science, but not Biology. However, I'll still answer. There is no problem with using BJU sciences a year ahead unless it is with the math levels for Physical, Chemistry, and Physics. Many homeschoolers I've talked to who use BJU, skip over earth science, move Physical Science to 8th and go through Bio, Chem, Physics in 9-11th grade freeing up the senior year for an AP science.

My dc are completing Apologia General Science now.  I plan on using Apologia Physical Science next year.  I want to move into biology next, and I have tentatively decided on BJU Biology.  According to BJU, this is a 10th grade subject.  Have any of you completed BJU Biology in 9th grade without having used BJU sciences prior to the biology course?

Thanks!

It has been common for many years for biology to be a sophomore-year course. :-)

My dd did BJUP biology as a sophomore; she had very little formal science before that, and she still did quite well.

Both of our kids did Biology in 9th.  Although they did General in 7th and Physical in 8th, they could have jumped right into Biology without having Physical first.  The only drawback found is finding the right fit for 12th grade science - we did Bio in 9th, Chem in 10th, and Physics in 11th.  We are looking into Ecology or Marine Biology for her senior year. 

Thanks for the replies.  I am glad to hear that others have skipped one of BJU's 7-9 grade sciences in order to start Biology in 9th.  I am probably sticking my younger dd.  Because I have combined my dc in sciences, my younger dd will have to take an AP biology her 11th grade year to get the normal bio, chem, phy requirements for college unless she applies to a school that accepts high school level courses done in 8th grade on a transcript.  Her math aligns properly with my proposed science sequence, so I don't have to worry about that.

Thanks again.