Menu

Anyone use Zometool?

LolaT

We have a kit that I picked up somewhere. My kids use it mostly for play. I did look on their website and they have really cool guides. I tried to do some of the activities , but we always ran out of the balls. If you want these for schooling get the biggest set you can. My kids love them. The only other issue we have is they are pricey.

AL

Well, they aren't as sturdy as Legos. My son used them to build a tower and balanced a couch pillow on top, which broke several of the sticks. Of course, if you just use them for school you should be fine. They are fun to blow bubbles with, too. I ended up tossing them because the set I bought was too small to do anything very interesting with and I didn't feel like investing in a bigger set.

I almost asked something about this earlier today actually.  We have the Creator 1 set...  so small but not tiny.  The kids have mostly just played around with it, but I was planning to get the Zome Geometry book and go through it maybe.  Has anyone done it?  If so, what's the best age for it?  Could we do it this coming year in 5th?  Wait for a year or so and do it in 6th?  Better to get it and spread it out for a long time?  And do you really need the advanced set like they say or is that more for if you have a whole class doing it?  I just can't conceive of what one (or two) kid could possibly need that crazy number of pieces for all at once.

We have the creator 3 and the geometry kit from HSBC. I tried to do the very first thing in the geometry book but my mathy 3rd grader wasn't getting it. I think it was about vertices in different shapes and something else. I've put it away for now. I can give you more examples tomorrow if you like.

He received the creator kit for Christmas and it has been quite popular. It has enough pieces to do some bigger projects. My younger kids just like to mess around with it but my 9 year old builds the projects in the booklet. He doesn't like the green struts. The blue are the most used.

We did try using it for chemistry once but I prefer my old set from college. My son thought it was fine so perhaps it's just familiarity talking.

Besides the one stab at the geometry book aand using it to model H2O molecules once they have been used for play. I will probably use it more as my kids get older.