Menu

Questions about Spielvogel

I'm thinking about getting Spielvogel for our history spine for next year....but there are overwhelming choices of editions out there and additional resources.

Could some of you who have used this please explain to me the differences in editions and additional resources....what would you get, what would you leave behind next time?

I'm really hoping to benefit from your collective wisdom rather than completely re-researching all this myself.

Also, I'm only going to use this for one year as ds will be a senior. We will be doing 1 sememster on ancients and one semester on Ren/Ref and the rise of Nations. Is this a good spine to use, or is it overkill (as it covers way more than we are going to be looking at)?

TIA

Great spine, really good coverage in those areas (not so much in Moderns, imo, but still serviceable). I think it would be fine. Another good spine you might consider is by Glencoe--not sure of the title, but I think it's World Civilizations.

We just got the 5th edition; 6th is the most recent, but it cost way more. We use the online resources from Wadsworth--usually just the quizzes--I print them out and use them as study guides.

I've heard there's a workbook that goes with Western Civ, and sometimes I wish we'd used it, but it's not necessary, imo.

Oh, and, since we were planning on doing the whole 4 years with it, we went with the comprehensive volume. You can find it for about $30 or less.

Great spine, really good coverage in those areas (not so much in Moderns, imo, but still serviceable). I think it would be fine. Another good spine you might consider is by Glencoe--not sure of the title, but I think it's World Civilizations.

We just got the 5th edition; 6th is the most recent, but it cost way more. We use the online resources from Wadsworth--usually just the quizzes--I print them out and use them as study guides.

I've heard there's a workbook that goes with Western Civ, and sometimes I wish we'd used it, but it's not necessary, imo.

Oh, and, since we were planning on doing the whole 4 years with it, we went with the comprehensive volume. You can find it for about $30 or less.

I was finding the selection a bit overwhelming and dreading dragging through them all....Great advice. Thanks so much

Sharon

so now we have the 6th edition. Then---we switched to World History: A Human Odyssey, which was a better fit for my then-7th-grader. They're very similar, and yes, I believe he does come from a more evolutionary viewpoint (in the beginning chapter) but I don't usually let that bother me. I can always use that as a jumping-off discussion point for the kids while we're reading it. Mostly it's fairly balanced; every once in a while he ventures into historical opinion, but I think most historians do, and I tell the kids when I disagree with a particular perspective.

We'll probably use Western Civ. next year; if we don't, I'm keeping the books anyway, because they are beautiful! :)

We have used Spielvogel for all my kids in 9th and 10th. This year my 8th is using it.

We just use the text itself (the thought questions at the beginning of each chapter make great essay questions) and the study guide. The study guide has word lists, multiple choice questions, stuff to put in chronological order, fill-in-the-blanks, and more essay/paragraph questions, and answers to everything except the essay questions.

I also have a test bank, though I have never used it. (See some post from a few months ago where I say that I don't test my kids much!)

by making this year an Ancients and to the Reformation....so basically book one of Notgrass. My dd is actually preferring the Spielvogel text as she finds it a more interesting read. Gwen, I was not aware that there was a workbook which works with Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. Could you get me the ISBN number for it, as it sounds like a great way or re-inforcing the material? Thanks!

Heather

by making this year an Ancients and to the Reformation....so basically book one of Notgrass. My dd is actually preferring the Spielvogel text as she finds it a more interesting read. Gwen, I was not aware that there was a workbook which works with Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. Could you get me the ISBN number for it, as it sounds like a great way or re-inforcing the material? Thanks!

Heather

What about book one of notgrass's world history. How would that do as a spine for doing ancient and ren/ref?

Also....are we talking about spielvogel's human odyssey or spielvogels western civ? I get confused by the multiple titles

Thanks

How far removed from Christianity are they? Are they entrenched in evolution, balanced, or what? I'd just like an overall opinion.

I haven't used Spielvogel, but seeing as Veritas Press has given it a 5-star rating, I don't think it would be too objectionable to Christians. :) (Re: evolution -- I don't think it's even addressed, because a history text wouldn't necessarily deal with pre-history.)