Menu

Kindle Fire vs. Galaxy Tab 3

Hoot

I'm wondering if anyone can compare the Kindle fire HD and Samsung Galaxy tab 3?

I've had my Kindle Keyboard for ages.  It's simple and I can still read from it, which is really all I ask.  I don't need a Paperwhite or other e-ink reader.

For Christmas we got MIL/FIL a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.  They love it and it seems easy enough for them to use.

For his birthday in April we got DS15 a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.  We all got Samsung Galaxy phones (our first smart phones) in November and I like that everything is the same.

After playing around with DS's new tablet for a month before his birthday, I decided that I wanted a tablet for myself.  It would seem logical just to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, but I keep wondering about the Kindle Fire.  What is so great about it?  Is there something it can do that the Galaxy can't? 

I'm pretty easy when it comes to what features I want:

• wi-fi to surf the web, check boards etc.
  • watch videos via Youtube, Coursera etc.
  • watch movies via Netflix or Amazon Prime
  • read books & magazines via Kindle
  • read documents
  • listen to audiobooks via Audible and Librivox

I don't play games. 

I don't care about a camera. 

The only thing I can think of that the Galaxy has over the Kindle is that it can access the Google Play Store.    

Has anyone had both?  Any input?

I looked at both and went with the Tab 3. We have been really pleased with it. It has a wider range of apps than the Kindle Fire, including the Mango language program that we use for school. That was the dealbreaker for me. But if you're a Prime member and want access to the Kindle lending library, get the Kindle.

Thanks Happypamama. I got the bright idea to just go look at the Kindle in store this morning (duh... didn't realize they would have them). I liked the Kindle, but I think I'm going to stick with the Tab 3. The Kindle doesn't really do anything that the Tab can't do and almost all of the apps that I use regularly are on Google Play and not Amazon. The Prime movies aren't really a deal-breaker for me and the Tab 3 really just looks like the better option. Bummer since the Kindle is actually cheaper.

Thanks again.

I'm a huge Kindle fan, but I'd go with the Galaxy. Glad you decided to do that.

I have a Paperwhite and  Kindle Fire HD. Since you have an e-ink Kindle you can still take advantage of the lending library if you're a Prime member (the library isn't that great IMO). When I'm ready to upgrade my tablet it will be a Galaxy of some kind. Ds and I have Galaxy phones, and dh will get one when he upgrades in the fall.