Menu

depressed and frustrated. in his head then gone

My 10 year old can learn something, do really well, and then a week later it is seemingly gone.  It is depressing and makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. I bought the Key to Fractions to help solidify the concepts and I love how detailed it is and how in depth it covers the materials.  Yet if we come back to it on Monday after the weekend he needs to review before moving on.  I don't know if this is normal or not.  But it makes me crazy to see a blank stare when I know he had the concept 2 days ago.

Mine do it. Both of them.

Sometimes I think it is in there, but the retrieval system is just down for the day, or it didn't get filed properly. it is frustrating, but I am learning to be patient and not let my frustration show. It's much harder to think when you can see that the teacher is unhappy.

You could try some of the same techniques that are suggested for adults wanting to improve their memory. For example, learn something new in the morning, then do a quick review that same afternoon (there's meant to be an optimal 'window' for reviewing things that triggers storage into longer term memory). Or try solidifying information through teaching, by asking him to explain what he has learned to somebody else (or word up a friend or relative to ask him about things).