Menu

Mother's Day thoughts: Were you a teen taking care of your mom before she died?

JadeOrchidSong

In honor of Mother's Day: I would like to share my experience as a teen taking care of my sick mom the last few years of her life. My three brothers and one sister all got married. Mom and I lived alone.

1. One day I went shopping. The line for eggs was long and suddenly a bad vertigo started. When I got home, Mom was very worried. That was my best memory of her. I felt that she cared about me so much. 2. Every day I would make steamed sourdough buns with overnight rise method for our dinner. 3. Every night I put my mother to bed and massaged her back to relieve her pain until she fell asleep. Then could I sleep. 4. One day my brother who came to visit scolded me severely when he saw dirty laundry not done because I was busy for exam prep. I felt hurt because I was the sole caretaker of Mom most of the time not just cooking (with coal) and laundering (with hands) and had a very busy study load. 5. Mom shared her singing gift with me. We would sing Beijing opera every night even when her voice was weak. I learned many famous singers' names and styles from her.

My sister was like a mom to me after Mom died. She was able to meet dh for the two summer breaks before she died in the winter. I miss her much more than I miss my mom because we shared more life together and it happened 14 years ago, much more recent than Mom's passing.

I am very sorry for the loss of your mom. I would say what I think of your brother...but you did not mention how you feel about him, but just what he did. I am so sorry about the loss of your mom and your sister though. Sorry your brother could not be a better person and maybe step up to the plate and help out.

My brother hadn't been kind to me (not on purpose, it was more due to the culture we grew up in) until my mom died. He started treating me very well and has always been there (or sent his wife) to support me, especially during my worst struggles such as severe depression and heart surgery. I worked in a city 27 hour train ride away from my hometown, where he lives. Now my sister and one brother are gone, he and his wife are my closest family I have. His two daughters (both have children close to my younger ds's age) are very close to me; the pity is I only got to see them three times in the past 14 years after I immigrated to the U. S. Dear sister-in-law, his wife, is very sweet. I've known her as SiL for 37 years.

Despite my parents' early passing, I feel lots of love and support from my sister and this brother. Also lots of teachers and classmates helped me financially by buying books and bread for me. I know God protected and blessed me in those years even when I didn't know Him yet.

I wish I could visit my brother's family every year. But the airtickets for four of us costs $6,000.

My brother hadn't been kind to me (not on purpose, it was more due to the culture we grew up in) until my mom died. He started treating me very well and has always been there (or sent his wife) to support me, especially during my worst struggles such as severe depression and heart surgery. I worked in a city 27 hour train ride away from my hometown, where he lives. Now my sister and one brother are gone, he and his wife are my closest family I have. His two daughters (both have children close to my younger ds's age) are very close to me; the pity is I only got to see them three times in the past 14 years after I immigrated to the U. S. Dear sister-in-law, his wife, is very sweet. I've known her as SiL for 37 years.

Despite my parents' early passing, I feel lots of love and support from my sister and this brother. Also lots of teachers and classmates helped me financially by buying books and bread for me. I know God protected and blessed me in those years even when I didn't know Him yet.

I wish I could visit my brother's family every year. But the airtickets for four of us costs $6,000.

I am glad there are no hard feelings. I am so sorry for all you have been through. This time of year is especially hard I am sure.