Menu

If you've used One Year Adventure Novel, do you treat it as your English course?

It seems like a lot of work, enough for 1 credit, yet it is not a complete English course.  Do you recommend using it as your English course for the year?  Do you add other things to complete your English credit? 

Or do you treat it as a Creative Writing elective and still teach a separate English course?

Not sure how to handle it if I use it for 10th grade next year.  I still want to teach academic writing, vocabulary and literature, possibly some grammar.

It's really up to you. I did give an English credit for OYAN alone. Certainly it is enough writing (you can cover nonfiction writing in other years), and you can deal with vocab and grammar in the context of your child's novel. As for literature, they do read one novel, and the entire course goes deep into all of the elements of the novel (characters, plot, theme, etc.). I was very happy with the program, and dd wrote a novel!

We used this and it did take up the majority of our English credit.  I did incorporate grammar, spelling, etc. into it.  I may have used a simple grammar workbook on the side just to go over a few things as needed.  This plus the extra grammar, etc. work made up our whole English credit.

I haven't used it but I've looked at it several times and personally I'd call it a Creative Writing elective. To me high school English is literature and composition with grammar etc as needed to support those tasks. OYAN is a creating writing program but not academic composition, literature, analysis etc. I am considering using it at some point but I plan to give it an elective credit.

We've used it twice (OYAN and Other Worlds). Both times ds did another full English credit along side and counted it as a creative writing class. I think there is plenty of work there for a full credit, but it doesn't cover all that a full year of English should cover in high school. There is almost no lit (there is a little reading, but not enough to count and no analysis). My ds is very interested in English if he weren't I might just try to do something light to add more lit along side and go for 1.5 credits total.