Menu

Sign language-can this be used for credit?

Hi,

My daughter would like to learn sign language.  Can this be used as a foreign language credit for high school?  I told her I didn't think it would qualify but I thought if anyone would know, someone here would!!!  So.....what is the bottom line-can we use this for credit?

thanks

pam

Most -- but not all -- colleges accepts ASL as a foreign language. That's what you ultimately are shooting for as a homeschooler -- high school credits that will be accepted by colleges for freshman admission. That will not only ensure that the foreign language credit meets any state homeschool high school requirements you may have, but it will also leave open future options for your student, even if the student doesn't initially appear to be headed for college.

Accomplishing this list of credits would get a student into a majority of colleges (top tier, competitive schools, and Ivy League schools would want additional credits of more rigor):

4 credits = English

4 credits = Math (min.: Alg. 1, Geom., Alg. 2; many colleges require a higher math with Alg. 2 as pre-requisite)

3-4 credits = Science, with labs (most colleges want at least Biology, Chemistry, but will flex for non-STEM majors)

2-3 credits = Social Studies (most colleges want to see 1 of the credits as American History)

2-4 credits = Foreign Language (of the same language)

1 credit = Fine Arts

4-8 credits = Electives

TOTAL = 20-28 credits 

And yes, there are ways of homeschooling ASL to make it credit-worthy -- see this recent thread for ideas: "ASL for a foreign language credit?"

Hope something here gets you started in finding what works for foreign language for your family! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

If you are using it to meet university admission requirements, you need to check with the university. Some schools do not requirement foreign language at all so it won't matter, but others are quite picky. There are schools that only accept modern, spoken languages.

If it's to meet general graduation requirements, it should be fine. Sign language is acceptable for foreign language credit in my state to meet advanced diploma standards from public high school. There is no requirement for foreign language in homeschool.

Most -- but not all -- colleges accepts ASL as a foreign language. That's what you ultimately are shooting for as a homeschooler -- high school credits that will be accepted by colleges for freshman admission. That will not only ensure that the foreign language credit meets any state homeschool high school requirements you may have, but it will also leave open future options for your student, even if the student doesn't initially appear to be headed for college.

I agree with Lori.  I have no idea what your state high school requirements are, but I would assume that if a college will accept ASL as a foreign language, then your state should accept it for high school.  Are you worried that your particular state might have set languages that they will accept?  Have you taken a look at your state's specific laws?

My dd (9th) is taking ASL to fulfill her foreign language requirement.  She is dyslexic and trying to learn a foreign language just was not in the cards for her.  However, she excels at ASL.  It just "clicks" for her.

All of the public state colleges in my state accept ASL as a foreign language.  You might want to check with any schools your dd might want to attend.  I know that is hard to know if she is on the younger side, but even finding out that the state schools here accepted it helped us to move forward with it.

Dd is taking an online ASL class with Landry Academy.  She is required to have a camera on her computer and a headset with microphone, but I have been impressed with the class.  She is already signed up for ASL 2 next year.  I have introduced myself to and am developing a relationship with the ASL teacher at our local Community College over the next year so that she can give advice as to what dd will need to be admitted into her class at the CC.  The goal is for dd to start in the CC ASL classes during her junior year in high school.