Menu

Latin for Children or Latina Christiana?

kristinannie

I already purchased LC1, but now I am starting to consider LFC1 for my rising 3rd grader.  I like the notation they use (it is the standard notation) and I like that they make use of a Latin reader early on.  Can anyone compare the two programs?  I will definitely be using Henle Latin starting in 6th or 7th grade.  Thanks!

I can't compare for you, but I really don't think it makes much difference what you use now if you are planning to use Henle, which starts from the very beginning as if you have had no experience in Latin. I did use GSWL prior to using Henle, but we did it orally and at a very young age. DD is very language-oriented, so starting Latin at a young age was good for her.

In my opinion, LFC assumes a lot of the younger child.  There is much incorporated into Latin translation.  More than just straight vocab, there are many grammar concepts involved and a fair deal of critical thinking as well.  Some elementary kids are ready to jump right into this.  Many are not, and this can cause frustration.  I've not used LFC, but I did request a copy from the publisher when considering its use for an elementary Latin co-op class.  I didn't think many of the kids in the class (mid-elementary age) were ready for that level of translation work right away.

Instead we've used Memoria Press products.  We began with Prima Latina, moved through Latina Christiana I and First Form, and will begin Second Form in the fall.  I feel like a great foundation has been laid with these kids, and as we move into more translation work, they are more than ready for it.

In my opinion, LFC assumes a lot of the younger child.  There is much incorporated into Latin translation.  More than just straight vocab, there are many grammar concepts involved and a fair deal of critical thinking as well.  Some elementary kids are ready to jump right into this.  Many are not, and this can cause frustration.  I've not used LFC, but I did request a copy from the publisher when considering its use for an elementary Latin co-op class.  I didn't think many of the kids in the class (mid-elementary age) were ready for that level of translation work right away.

Instead we've used Memoria Press products.  We began with Prima Latina, moved through Latina Christiana I and First Form, and will begin Second Form in the fall.  I feel like a great foundation has been laid with these kids, and as we move into more translation work, they are more than ready for it.

I agree with this. I chose Latina Christiana (and then the Form Series) because I agree with Memoria Press's philosophy on how to teach Latin, namely drilling grammar forms within a limited vocabulary in order to build a strong foundation for translation.

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/3-methods-teaching-latin