Menu

course descriptions ?, do i add community college?

Just a quick couple questions.  For course descriptions, do I need to do a course description for community college classes?  And one more, when you do your course descriptions, do you do detailed grade summary-like do you put in each chapter grade, test grade, quiz grade, etc.  Or do you just include the final grade?

Thanks so much for any info.

pam

My course descriptions for at home courses were much more detailed; for the college courses I simply copied the course description from the catalog and listed textbook, instructor and number of credits.

I included no grades with the course descriptions at all, just described what the evaluation was based on: cumulative final exam, monthly exams and lab, or writing assignments. The grades are on the transcript.

Nobody wants to see all grades for all assignments. Do not include those.

My course descriptions for at home courses were much more detailed; for the college courses I simply copied the course description from the catalog and listed textbook, instructor and number of credits.

I included no grades with the course descriptions at all, just described what the evaluation was based on: cumulative final exam, monthly exams and lab, or writing assignments. The grades are on the transcript.

Nobody wants to see all grades for all assignments. Do not include those.

I did something similar to this. For the CC classes, I did what is written above. For my at-home classes, I wrote up a 4 - 5 sentence description of the course and listed the book (or books if I was a literature course) used. The only exception was for at-home science classes. For these, I did say how many experiments were done, and I put a short list of the lab equipment that was used in the course so they could see that we did do actual labs and do own some science equipment like a good microscope, prepared slides, dissection specimens, chemistry glassware, etc.

I also included no grades with the course descriptions, and just gave a year-end final grade on the transcript.

HTH,

Brenda

I also just used the description provided by the community college. I marked the courses with CC at the beginning of their names. So here is an example from dd's course descriptions:

CC Introduction to Statistics (MATH 162) (0.5 credit)
Description from MCCC course catalog: “A basic course to acquaint the student with the theory and application of statistical methods to engineering, health, social and business problems. Topics considered are graphical representation of data, central tendency measures, bivariate data, probability, distribution, sampling, hypothesis testing and correlation aspects. Out of classroom use of microcomputers will be expected.â€
Materials list: Elementary Statistics (Johnson)

For all other outside courses, I used an asterisk with a key in the footer of each page explaining what CC and * meant. If the outside provider gave a good course description I used it and stated the source

In most of my own descriptions, I detailed how the work was assessed, though I didn't include any specific grades or results. That went on the transcript only. An example of a course at home:

3D Modeling (0.5 credit)
Basic 3D modeling with Solidworks including sketches, parts, assemblies, and stress simulations. Modeling completed from 2D drawings with dimensions. Parts included basic sketching and extrusions including cuts, lofts, shells, drilled holes, fillets, chamfers, patterns, and other features. Assemblies included all mates including advanced options. Final project required drawing, assembling, and executing strength tests on a radial engine for a small aircraft. Earned SolidWorks Associate Certification.
Materials list: Technical Drawing (Giesecke)