Menu

I need Guitar help, user or teacher. :)

ChrissySC

I am looking at an inexpensive, but "OK" guitar to begin learning for both daughters.  Purple is a great color, of course.  I am looking at this one.  Tell me what you think please. 

Make some suggestions of known guitars for students that your children may have used, including any starter packs.

What books have they used to learn? 

I tend to pick up any book and find that I can teach the instrument, but guitar has me a bit perplexed.  I am boggled at the choices, and honestly, I just want you all to tell me some things so that I can narrow down the options.  :D

TIA

Maybe consider visiting your local guitar shops prior to making any decision.  Try to get a feel for what is available and grasp the differences between instruments.

I recently purchased a steel stringed Fender acoustic locally.  The guitar came with a hard case and was priced cheaper locally than any price I saw online. 

I ask this with no snark, are they serious about learning?  (i.e. Are you wanting a "real" instrument?)  If so, go to your local music/guitar store and look at the 1/2 and 3/4 sizes of the name brand guitars.  The "kid" guitars aren't always built well and aren't for serious use.  If they just want to try it out and see if they like it, a kid brand would be fine. 

We bought our DD a Yamaha smaller sized guitar.  But, in hindsight, I could have gotten her anything because she's not really taken to it.  So, you might want to get the cool purple one for now and if in a year's time the child is still playing and studying, plan to invest in a 3/4 size Baby Taylor or Yamaha that can take them through several years. 

I ask this with no snark, are they serious about learning?  (i.e. Are you wanting a "real" instrument?)  If so, go to your local music/guitar store and look at the 1/2 and 3/4 sizes of the name brand guitars.  The "kid" guitars aren't always built well and aren't for serious use.  If they just want to try it out and see if they like it, a kid brand would be fine. 

This.

My Dh has guitar students at times, and he says, if they are serious about learning it, get a real guitar. A local music store will have student sized guitars that are quality (possibly even used, to make them less expensive.) 

My Dh always starts teaching then scales. He does not like to teach them songs to memorize. One student left actually because all he wanted to do was learn how to play a Green Day song and my DH doesn't do that, and the student had no desire to actually work at learning the scales, so obviously he wasn't serious about it. Dh also says that even if they stop playing after a year or two, that learning the scales will help them in other areas of learning, so it's worth the effort.

He also  teaches them a bit about reading tab, but he doesn't like them to rely on that either. 

I can't think of any books...sorry. He would make up his own lesson sheets.

Maybe something like Alfred's Basic Scales and Modes.

Do you play guitar OP? If not, ask around for a guitar teacher. Maybe take some lessons together? Try to find a teacher who *knows* the scales. It's amazing how many guitar players and even teachers are out there who don't know basic guitar theory. You can teach some chords and teach a child to play a song obviously, but if they learn scales etc they will be free to compose...that was my Dh's intention.

My DD has one that's similar, because I wasn't sure how serious she was about learning. It sounds fine, and will take her awhile to outgrow. If she's still serious about it by then, we will definitely buy her a better quality one. And get a tuner. That pitch pipe will cause nothing but frustration when you try to use it. DD's teacher recommended this one, and I like it. She's able to tune her instrument herself without problems.

I taught myself with Guitar for Absolute Beginners and I thought it was awesome, and DD's teacher approved of it. I wish they had more books like it, and a chord chart is very useful for memorizing the hand positions. DD's teacher also recommends switching to nylon strings when starting out, because they are easier on the fingers. As they improve and build up calluses, you can switch to better sounding steel strings. Always make sure you have an extra set of strings, because they will break and the most inconvenient times. 

I agree with going to a local guitar shop. Our friend bought this one for her kids from a local shop and they've loved it: http://www.amazon.com/Samick-Bennett-Design-Acoustic-Natural/dp/B000CRDO4U

If your kids are serious about learning to play, then get a decent guitar. It takes a long time for a beginner to get a good sound even out of a great guitar and it's impossible with a bad guitar. 

As far as books, I've used Mel BayChildren's Guitar Method. I'm sure Hal Leonard probably has some good books, too.

Thanks everyone. 

I called about today and we will be visiting the shop on Monday afternoon.  :)  There is a used student Fender.  I looked at the books mentioned above and love them.  I went trolling my co-workers, and I found a gentleman to work with us once a month on learning finger position, scales, and chords.  I think that is a great start.  He should fit great for us - plays at the church down the street.  He will do a "teach", and we will run off to practice.  I might as well learn another instrument.  :-/  Flute, soprano recorder, alto recorder, and piano just are not enough.  LOL  Next, I am waiting for someone to yell violin or trumphet.  Eek.

Anyway ... I appreciate all of the extra brains!  As always ladies, you spared me chaos and confusion.  You rule!

If you have a suggestion or comment, I will keep watching.  Any previous experience is wanted.

We bought our DD a Yamaha smaller sized guitar.  But, in hindsight, I could have gotten her anything because she's not really taken to it.  So, you might want to get the cool purple one for now and if in a year's time the child is still playing and studying, plan to invest in a 3/4 size Baby Taylor or Yamaha that can take them through several years. 

Yes, you are right.  See post above.  :)

Depending on the style of music your DDs want to learn, the Murphy Henry (the Murphy Method) DVDs are really good.  She teaches "by ear" or "by memorization."  No tabs or reading music.  This is OK with us, since our kids also take piano (from me), and they learn to read music through our piano lessons.  On the Murphy Method DVDs, all selections are mainly old-time bluegrass style or hymns (we are a "bluegrassy" family, and we play instruments together...but other familes may have different musical tastes! :) ) Our DS uses the Flatpicking Lead Guitar DVD -- songs are Old Joe Clark, Sally Goodwin, Soldier's Joy, Arkansas Traveler.  Our DD uses the Fiddle DVDs-- Bury Me Beneath The Willow, John Hardy, Salty Dog, Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Lonesome Road Blues, Cripple Creek, Cotton-Eyed Joe, Sally Goodwin, Old Joe Clark, Boil Them Cabbage, Amazing Grace.

HTH!

--Julie

Good call on going to a music store.  It is so much easier to learn on a good instrument.  I tried to learn on a cheap "student" guitar and hated it.  I tried again on a well made guitar and it was so much easier, like night and day.  The action was nice, it stayed in tune for more than 5 minutes, and sounded really good.  If your DD is serious about learning skip the toys and, if you can, invest in a real instrument.  I'm guessing you could get a decent 3/4 guitar (nothing fancy, but not a toy) for $100 - 150 or so.  It's been awhile since I looked.

My only tip is that I would get a decent guitar (not something too dingy, in terms of quality, and not a kids' guitar) and try to go for nylon strings.  The steel strings are pretty nasty until you get those beautiful callouses!  My guitars are a Sigma (nylon strings), an acoustic-electric Ovation (it's okay) and the end-all-be-all of awesome, a gorgeous Gibson my dad bought in Harvard Square in the early 1970s.  My father loves Fender......

DD's teacher also recommends switching to nylon strings when starting out, because they are easier on the fingers. As they improve and build up calluses, you can switch to better sounding steel strings. Always make sure you have an extra set of strings, because they will break and the most inconvenient times. 

Just be sure to NOT put steel strings on a classical guitar (which is made for nylon strings). The bracing won't be strong enough and you will damage your guitar.