Menu

Is Lightning Lit something that can be completed at double pace or would Progeny Press...

walkermamaof4

We were successful in catching up on grammar using CLE at a double pace. It wasn't too difficult. But we need more literary analysis. Is Lightning Lit something we can speed through? DD is entering 9th grade and I was thinking about going through 7th and 8th grades of this next year in addition to her other work. Might this work? Another option I've been thinking through is to use progeny press guides for some of her assigned reading. I see guides for Door in the Wall and Bronze Bow and could add those to her reading list to give her some more in depth analysis. But I was thinking folks thought LL had more analysis than PP. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated! 

Do you think that someone who isn't a strong reader/writer could manage it ok? She just doesn't enjoy reading and I haven't pushed her in writing. I'm an avid reader and got a 5 on my AP English Exam, so she is a foreigner to me in this regard! DS is also an avid reader and a stronger writer than her. We will be using IEW's Medieval Writing next year but haven't used IEW before.

To me, literature and writing aren't really subjects you catch up in, especially not by rushing through.

I would look at the syllabus and just decide if you think she can handle the 8th grade course. It doesn't look ridiculously challenging. Then look at the 7th. I don't see why she couldn't do the 7th and see how it goes, if you feel she's not ready for the 8th.

Another option to consider is Paradigm Accelerated. They are written to be very in depth but slow moving and easier reading passages. I examined many samples online and I was very impressed by what they cover. If I had a student who disliked reading and needed clear instructions with everything built in, I would definitely try Paradigm Accelerated English. The graphics and layout are very pleasing, but not distracting, and the character building stories and excerpts were very interesting.

From our experience with doing LL7 & 8 with average readers -- yes, we finished early each year we did LL, but not enough to jam both programs into 1 year, esp. since LL8 has 1/3 MORE material than LL7. Going at the gentler pace with average readers allowed us time for other reading to go along with the history, to take time to learn how to do analysis, and time to focus on the separate writing program. I can see that a confident and advanced reader/writer, esp. one who is familiar with basic literary analysis could move more quickly through both programs and do both in 1 year or a little longer...

Esp. for a non-reader, I DO think it would be difficult to do both programs in one year. And I don't see how rushing and piling on a LOT of reading is going to help someone overcome a dislike of Literature. ;) However, I think you could certainly use parts of LL7 and LL8 and do well with it! Pick and choose; don't feel you have to do all of it.

And I do think you'll get a lot more Literature information/teaching that builds with LL7&8 than with a handful of Progeny Press guides. A large part of the PP guides focuses on vocabulary, and then questions comparing the work of literature with Scripture and Biblical themes and ideas; not very much actual literary devices or teaching about Literature topics.

LL7 has 8 units, with each unit focusing on 1 literary element or aspect of literature, and with 1 "mini writing unit" -- a page of info on how to do some aspect of writing. The units don't tend to reference one another, so they could be done out of order or skip some without detriment overall. There are 8-10 work pages for each unit to put into practice the literature lesson for the unit -- 2 pages are optional (crossword and word search), but the others are useful.

2 poetry units = each with 6-8 poems -- lessons are: rhyme; sound

2 short stories = Rikki Tikki Tavi (plot structure), Bride Comes to Yellow Sky (style)

4 novels = Tom Sawyer (plot), Alice in Wonderland (creativity), Helen Keller: Story of My Life (autobiography), All Creatures Great and Small (character sketch)

JMO! If you want to drop anything from LL7

- Bride Comes to Yellow Sky (style) -- a harder to read work, and an optional lesson topic

- Helen Keller (autobiography) -- a harder to read work, and biography is an optional kind of topic

JMO: The must-do lessons:

2 poetry units (rhyme; sound)

1 short story = Rikki Tikki Tavi (plot)

1 novel = Tom Sawyer (plot)

optional = Alice in Wonderland (creativity), All Creatures (character sketch) -- the lesson topics are optional, but Alice is a fast read and very fun so I would try and keep it; All Creatures is entertaining, but long -- maybe save for a summer read aloud?

LL8 has 12 units -- same structure as above for LL7, except that the last half to 2/3 of the lessons do start building up into literary analysis, and the workpages start having the student practice beginning literary analysis through guided questions on excerpts or additional short stories included in the workpages, so LL8 is best done in order and if you're going to skip anything, easier to drop from the first 5-6 units rather than the last half of the program...

3 poetry units = each with 6-8 poems -- lessons are: imagery, figurative language, meter

3 short stories = A Crazy Tale (purpose), Wakefield (details), Reflections (symbolism)

6 novels = Treasure Island (setting), A Day of Pleasure (culture), A Christmas Carol (character), The Hobbit (conflict), My Family and Other Animals (humor), To Kill a Mockingbird (literary analysis)

JMO! If you want to drop anything from LL8

- poetry unit (meter)

- Crazy Tale (purpose), Wakefield (details) -- hard for a non-reader, and the literature lessons are fine, but nothing you can't go ahead and miss

JMO: The must-do lessons:

2 poetry units (imagery, figurative language)

1 short story = Reflections (symbolism)

4 novels = Treasure Island (setting), A Christmas Carol (character), The Hobbit (conflict), To Kill a Mockingbird (literary analysis)

optional:

- Day of Pleasure (sharing culture) and/or My Family (humor) -- the lessons could be optional on those 2 novels, but they're such GOOD books, keep if you can.

Another gentle intro into Literature and literary analysis is Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings, which would fit with your IEW Medieval Writing. The student would need to enjoy Tolkien (not everyone does). There are audio versions of the books which would help with the reading aspect. And you could also do Beowulf, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and either The Odyssey or The Iliad for a full English credit. Just a thought! :)

I was also considering the LL Speech Pack. Have you seen or used it? Any thoughts?

Alas, can't help you there -- no personal experience.

From what I recall of what others on this board have said, it IS about public speaking, not Literature. My guess is that, as with any good public speaking class, there will be an emphasis on WRITING, because you research and write to be prepared to then deliver your supported and reasoned thinking, organized by good writing, through oral communication. :)

Alas, can't help you there -- no personal experience.

From what I recall of what others on this board have said, it IS about public speaking, not Literature. My guess is that, as with any good public speaking class, there will be an emphasis on WRITING, because you research and write to be prepared to then deliver your supported and reasoned thinking, organized by good writing, through oral communication. :)

Ah - this probably isn't what I need then. I like the sounds of your post. I'll give it thorough consideration.