Menu

S/O in which Michael Farris comes out against Patriarchy

ColleenInWis

Michael Farris of HSLDA posted this on his public FB page yesterday:  "I have no pleasure in posting the following link to a very important story about Doug Phillips. I am quoted at length in the article, so there is not as much need to comment here.

I will say one thing. I wish I had spoken up sooner. There was no way that I could have known that Doug was involved in sexual misconduct, but I knew that he was involved in unscriptural views about women in his teaching. 

He was teaching that girls should never go to college. I started a college where half the student body is female and PHC just elected a woman student as the President of the Student Body. He was teaching that girls should basically stay in their father's home until marriage. I sent my oldest daughter off to Cedarville University and my second daughter off to Romania as a missionary. I thought my actions would speak louder than his words. I wish I had used words too. 

http://www.wnd.com/2014/04/pastor-accused-of-using-nanny-as-sex-object-2/"

The usual suspects have shown up to comment (188 comments so far), those standing up for the tenets of patriarchy, as well as those adding arguments to debunk patriarchy, those trying to blame the victim and then those championing her cause.    

There have been some fascinating interchanges.  A poster whom I'll address by her initials, CG, wrote about her personal story (of abuse, I'm deducing, though she doesn't say it).  Mr. Farris's response follows.  To make sure you don't miss his last sentence, I'll repeat it here:   It would be easy to contend that Doug's sin was separate from his patriarchy views. I am saying the opposite. His views of women were integral to his actions.

CG:  Mike Farris, you know my story. I don't know if you also know that there were Vision Forum products all over my house growing up, that my father sent me readings from Rushdooney's Chalcedon Foundation to explain the role of a father over an adult daughter, that my parents quoted your parental rights rhetoric at me to justify their behavior, and that my parents expected PHC to enforce their will on me while I attended. It's all interconnected in their minds. And after almost 20 years of being seeped in this ideology, with no one they respected ever giving a word of moderation or caution or warning--well, it is a lost cause now and you know what has happened. I do have to wonder how different my life would be if someone had told my parents 20 years ago how evil these teachings are.

Farris:  "CG, yes I know a lot of your story. I didn't know what materials were in your family's home but I am not surprised. I make no defense of my past public silence. I have said I wish I had spoken earlier. 

But, I do think it is important to note that I was, in fact, a voice of reason at least to some degree in your life. You recently told me that I was the first authority figure you ever encountered who denounced slavery on moral grounds. And you know that in conversations with your parents I tried to get them to be more reasonable with you. Finally, you know that when you asked me for help with your sister, I willingly helped. 

I do not contend that any of these private actions justify my past failure to speak out publicly. But I trust that it is some evidence to you as to nature of my heart. Carmen, it is accumulation of stories like yours that is now causing me to publicly condemn patriarchy as a philosophy. 

It would be easy to contend that Doug's sin was separate from his patriarchy views. I am saying the opposite. His views of women were integral to his actions."

Discussion about homeschool conventions is also popping into the FB thread.  I add it here because I've discussed it with some of you in the past.  I am hopeful to see change a-coming!  A couple quotations below.  

WD: " Michael Farris, What is the chance we start seeing HSLDA not participating in, publicly telling homeschoolers not to participate in homeschool conferences that promote this ideology, or starting to call out other leaders of the movement publicly. Sadly many brand new homeschoolers figure they should go to their local state convention to learn about homeschooling, and quickly get sucked into the ideology since the ideology is being promoted there. Voddie Baucham is a very strong proponent of the prophet/priest/king belief, regularly keynotes homeschool conventions, and is a mainstream part of the homeschool movement. Many other radical leaders are also regulars at state conventions which thousands of homeschoolers attend."

PM:  "I second what Willie said. Kevin Swanson is another huge patriarchy proponent who is a highly popular conference speaker, especially in western states. Christian Home Educators of Colorado, which he formerly led, is also a major proponent of this ideology, with its board of directors completely dominated by people with extreme patriarchal views. The annual CHEC conference in Denver is one of the most highly attended home school conferences in the west, and many of the keynote speakers each year are proponents of patriarchy. Over the last few years, CHEC has seen a mass exodus of volunteers and board members who were uncomfortable with its views, and it has only continued to ramp up its efforts to promote patriarchy and family integrated churches. 

However, there has not been very much public opposition to CHEC or Kevin Swanson, primarily because people "don't want to cause division" or risk harming friendships with people who are still involved in CHEC. What is desperately needed is for prominent home school leaders like Mr. Farris and organizations like HSLDA to begin publicly calling out rogue home school organizations like CHEC and leaders like Kevin Swanson who are teaching this stuff, and to discourage their organization's members from attending conferences and events sponsored by promoters of this ideology.

I also would be interested to know what kinds of efforts Mike and HSLDA will be making to oppose this stuff in the future."

Farris:  "WD and PM, I would like to ask you a question. Can you both message me?"

And this:

KO:  I have already contacted my state group here in PA (CHAP) which had Doug Phillips/Vision Forum at their convention many times, asking if they would be making a public statement about this. I was told, "No."

I'm not sure what to think. I 'm left wondering "Who is Carmen?"  IT will be, umm.... interesting watching/listening to/reading reactions.

Because Farris says, "It's because of accumulation of stories like yours," to her, I am pretty sure she is one of the many homeschool graduates who are coming out with stories of how they were abused in various ways in their homes.  I haven't read her name online, but apparently she has been in touch with Mike before and he knows her family.

Because Farris says, "It's because of accumulation of stories like yours," to her, I am pretty sure she is one of the many homeschool graduates who are coming out with stories of how they were abused in various ways in their homes.  I haven't read her name online, but apparently she has been in touch with Mike before and he knows her family.

I was guessing that too, but I don't remember her from anything I read.  I suppose there are quite a few out there.  

Thanks for sharing this. I would never have faulted the guy for not speaking out publicly but if he is faulting himself and, having close(ish) and long connection with those involved, comes to the conclusions he does about it, I'm given pause to consider how I'm viewing the issue. I tend to assume the best of people and I know it can cause me to overlook things that should be red flags - not speaking of Farris here but reevaluating where my own line is between not associating with something in my practice, and actively speaking out and standing against it.

With regard to the comment posted above about CHEC, I wish that Farris/HSLDA would call out Kevin Swanson and CHEC for their extreme views on patriarchy, dominionism, etc. Swanson has a lot of influence on homeschooling in Colorado, and most if not all of the big names in this movement have been featured speakers at the CHEC annual conference in the past several years.

I tend to assume the best of people and I know it can cause me to overlook things that should be red flags - not speaking of Farris here but reevaluating where my own line is between not associating with something in my practice, and actively speaking out and standing against it.

Yes, this is along the lines of what I've been thinking for over a year about my own convenient silence at times.  I tend to be silent in person, then burst out on FB with a link to some article that I know will provoke some of my acquaintances...  ;)  I'm trying to reverse the trend--in person discussions are surely more effective and honest.  And less liable to be misunderstood.   

I think hindsight is 20/20. I give him credit for evaluating his reasoning for staying quiet, and addressing the issue in the present.

We have personally wrestled with if, how, and when you publicly denounce and debate this stuff because we've harbored a couple run aways from ATI which is cut from the exact same morally bankrupt cloth as VF. For the most part, speaking out has done no good at all. I can not imagine that Michael Farris taking a stand would have made a hill of beans of difference in the grand scheme of things. Charismatic narcissists like Dip are not thwarted by such actions even when it comes from someone fairly well known and respected amongst the peoplfe they seek to convert.

I am no fan of HSLDA. However, I can appreciate Farris's inner struggle and coming to grips with that publicly.