Menu

What about math for the non-mathematically inclined student?

Dd is only in 7th grade but I am thinking ahead to high school.Math is her weakest subject.She really dislikes it and struggles to maintain grades in the 60-70%.She will have to do 2 years of math for high school but is not required to do a certain type of math program.Is it possible for a child to take math classes like consumer math and still get into college?Someone reassure me that it will not be the end of the world if she never does geometry or calculus.

I would check out the prospective colleges and see what they require. Perhaps you can just see a few websites of those that are in your state.

She's only in 7th grade, so I'd say don't write her off too soon. She could still surprise you with what she's capable of learning. Have you considered a different, less-traditional math curriculum, like Math-U-See?

Most colleges require 3 years of math, including Algebra and above. She probably won't need precalc or calc, but the Big Three (Algebra, Geom and Alg 2) are pretty standard requirements. She'll also need them to do well on the SAT and the ACT. So, if college is in her future, help her now get on the "math path." Find out how she learns and retains mathematical information, and try to pick a curriculum that can play to her strengths. I'm sure you have done that all along. Sometimes it just takes really hard work.

I know that this isn't what you asked for, :o but I wanted to encourage you and your daughter not to give up on math! I was a non-mathematically inclined student in high school. I hated math (in hindsight, because I didn't understand it), and it didn't help that I had a math teacher who wasn't good at explaining things and made fun of you in class if you asked questions! So . . . I convinced my mother to let me take absolutely minimal high school math to get into the college degree of my choice (music). Fast forward 25+ years--I realize that higher math has significant applications throughout our everyday life and that I missed out in not taking it more seriously! With the help of my dh (a college math major) and The Teaching Company, I am slowly working to improve my math understanding.

All that to say please encourage your daughter not to give up too soon! Some of us need more instruction than others before it "clicks," but that's okay!! Trust me--if I can learn algebra, geometry, and calculus, anyone can! :lol:

Take care, and good luck to you and your daughter!:grouphug:

Greetings. I share your concerns and sympathize with them. I have taught kids like this before. Here are some thoughts.

1) Are you interested in getting a state certified graduation certificate? If so, check with your state education dept. on the math requirements.

2) Are you college bound? If so, check with some colleges that you might think about attending and ask the what they look for.

3) Many local public schools have counselors who could answer these questions with confidence.

4) Finally, I would encourage you to think of your child as someone who just hasn't had a math "conversion" yet. Math is more than just abstract calculation. The structure of the created order *is* mathematical. So, what you need is a teacher who sees math that way and then hire him or get some book recommends from him that approach math this. What you need is a teacher/text that approaches math from a liberal arts point of view because math has traditionally been considered a liberal art. It is only in the last few centuries that it has become an overly computational science.

I think Life of Fred is great, too! We have just ordered the fractions book and we've orally done 10 chapters. We don't start school until Sept. My 13 yr old loves it, especially. She's in ps, but wishes she could use Fred! I'm thinking of ordering Algebra 1, so we can do it orally for family time. Don't know if it'd work, but it looks good. Also, I want to do some Living Math Books, too. I also saw some cool templates that you can use for Algebra. They were free...where were they??

Carrie:-)