Menu

Calculus course similar to Teaching Textbooks?

A few months ago, my daughter decided to double up her TT Algebra 2 lessons so that she could start (and finish) TT's Precalc prior to taking the ACT... Because of this, she is now thinking of taking calculus in the fall, but doesn't want something like Saxon... She has used it, as well as some online school courses, and has a hard time comprehending math courses that are textbased- she really thrives with TT's lectures. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Calculus course that has a similar lecture-style layout like TT?

Thanks!

Ignore below, but I'll leave it here in case anyone did use a less complete pre-calculus course and is looking through this thread.

I'm not familiar with TT but, from what I've read here it's at a different level from some others, so in transition to another provider, it might be a good idea to take pre-calculus.  Hopefully those who have actually used TT will be able to tell you whether this is necessary or not.

Chalkdust uses a text, but also has videos.  Again, I'd recommend doing their pre-calculus level first as it is more rigorous.  The other suggestion would be to take the math dual-enrolled.  Most colleges don't offer math taught by video lectures, and I wouldn't recommend a community college online course for all but the strongest math students as the student needs to learn most of it on their own.  So she'll need to learn from in class lectures eventually, and this might be a good time to start. Taking a placement test at the cc would probably help you to know where to begin, but being that she's switching from her preferred method of learning to lecture based, I'd be inclined to even do some repeating of math.  College algebra might be a good place to start, but If you decide to dual enroll, I'd work with the college and the math dept/professor in determining her best course.  A summer course might be a good way for her to do a course which repeats what she already knows, but keep in mind that that will move twice as fast as a regular fall or spring semester college course.

Edited for commas.  Ignore them or put them where they belong as I can't seem to at all lately.  lol

Edited again as my information is wrong.  :tongue_smilie:  Advice from those who have btdt definitely trumps "I've read that ... "  ;)

My oldest used Chalkdust, but didn't like it all that much.  My middle requested I find something else.  He ended up using Thinkwell and liked it a LOT, however, some have mentioned Thinkwell tends to quiz students on concepts not yet thoroughly taught.  My guy agreed that this happened, but also stated that he liked the challenge...  He considered the Thinkwell instructor to be very, very good.

YMMV

Both of mine went right from TT Pre-Calc into Calc without any issues, though middle skipped a year to do AP Stats in between.

If in doubt about ability to go from Pre-Calc into Calc (any program), it can be wise to see if your local CC has a placement test.  Ours does.  My guys tested into Calc with no problems, so there was definitely no need to repeat Pre-Calc.

My dd used Thinkwell and really liked it.  It does ask some questions on material that's not been taught yet... I think it's their attempt to make the questions more AP prep, while still using their calculus college course lectures as is, and some glitches occurred.  We found that when this happens, you just roll with it--look at the answer if necessary and just learn from it, but don't worry too much about it.  I watched the lectures along with dd and the instructor is very good.

Thinkwell is also a solid course if your dd wants to consider taking the AP exam.  You just need to make sure to spend some good prep time with a couple of AP prep books.  

I'm glad to know from creekland that TT Pre-Calc is fine prep for Thinkwell Calc.  I second the suggestion to try taking a CC placement test if you have doubts.  Dd did Thinkwell Pre-Calc, which is also very good, but it's huge--you wouldn't want to repeat pre-calc unless necessary.

Emmie,

When I was outlining my daughter's high school curriculum,  I had the same issue (how to transition from Teaching Textbooks to a Calculus course with a similar format).  However, I will be making the same transition that was suggested by creekland and musicmom; to transition to Thinkwell's Calculus program. 

Dd#2 completed TT Pre-Cal last year and moved on to Derek Owens AP Calculus this year.  She has done very well in the class and is prepping for the Calc AB exam right now (fingers crossed!).  Overall I have been very pleased with the instruction in TT--she definitely didn't need to repeat Pre-Cal before moving on.

If you're unsure, I'll second the idea of a placement exam at a nearby college.  Our local Uni. offers the COMPASS for free.

Thanks for the responses! I will look in to the courses mentioned! She was definitely interested in statistics verses calculus, but because she will be majoring in biology and will be taking calculus in college, she wanted to take it her senior year.

Thanks again!