Menu

Anyone feel sedated when an allergic reaction is starting?

Tiramisu

I had another scary allergic reaction. I ate something and about fifteen minutes or so later I started to feel very sedated. It came on very strongly and suddenly. I just told myself I would finish going through dd's algebra lesson no matter what and then I would let myself lie down. Then a little bit later as I finished the lesson, I started to feel the congestion coming on, in my nose and the back of my throat and knew I was having an allergic reaction. I was afraid it was getting hard to breathe but it could have been my nervousness. I took Benadryl and it eventually kicked in and I felt the congestion ease off a lot. I took a short nap and felt completely clear and was fine for the rest of the day and night.

I keep thinking of that strange sensation that this episode started with and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this. It might be helpful to know because if I feel it again I'll know I should take Benadryl right away or be prepared to get help.

On Monday, I'm calling the allergist.

DS has had a similar reaction - he looks sort of spacey and out of it.

MomatHWTK, would you have epi'd for the above?  I often find myself secondguessing, so it's helpful to read when others use the epi.  Sedated + congestions = 2 body systems, so it sounds right.  Still, I am terrible about secondguessing unless there is a screaming neon sign.  Trying to improve about that, after many discussions with the allergist.  :(

Spryte,

From what I read (long ago) most people assume that anaphylaxis has to include breathing problems. But it really is the 2 body systems.  Breathing being impaired is just more obvious than a drop in blood pressure.  Again, loose research about 11 years ago- but I think with the blood pressure drop, all your capilaries open to max and there is not enough blood available for vital body systems.   So you won't see breathing impairment, the brain will just shut down.  Scary stuff! 

I have never used the epi on DS or DH, but have been scolded by our allergist for hesitating when Ds had swelling and hives (swelling was actually on his eye ball-yuck).  The allergist pointed out that there is no "do-over".  I was also scolded for driving DH to the ER rather than calling 911 when he had swelling over his body and hives.  The doctor's felt that if he did have more trouble (even though he had epi in hand) that I wouldn't be able to drive and tend to him. 

So two part answer- Yes, you should use the epi. I don't know if I would as I tend to hesitate.    :(  It would be an epi/ER situation according to all our doctors and what I would hope I would do.  KWIM?

I know it is hard to make the decision.  I think if I used it once and got past that mental block it would be easier. 

I really hate having to hold this life or death decision in the back of my mind all the time.  Because that is what it is- for anyone with anaphylaxis or the parent.  Every decision- eat this, go here, etc. has that extra "Will it be safe?" question hanging over it.  Then, once you get to the "I think it will be safe" point, you still have to prepare for the possibility of an emergency and be ready to use an epi-pen.  I have relaxed more over time because DS hasn't had any bad reactions for years and he is very aware of his own body and will tell me if he is concerned.  We still pull the epi-pen out now and then when he starts to cough excessively though.  Stress stress stress.  :thumbdown:

I don't have an epi pen, but if I had one, I'd probably be very nervous about using it because I have tachycardia.

FWIW, I do remember having the sedated feeling before, once very clearly, because it was such a strange sensation. I don't remember breathing those times.

Also, if you don't mind a little TMI, when I had the two recent food reactions, I had a bathroom symptom, which sound like it would fit Spryte's description above. I guess I'm going to have to be very careful about what I put in my mouth.

Spryte,

From what I read (long ago) most people assume that anaphylaxis has to include breathing problems. But it really is the 2 body systems.  Breathing being impaired is just more obvious than a drop in blood pressure.  Again, loose research about 11 years ago- but I think with the blood pressure drop, all your capilaries open to max and there is not enough blood available for vital body systems.   So you won't see breathing impairment, the brain will just shut down.  Scary stuff! 

I have never used the epi on DS or DH, but have been scolded by our allergist for hesitating when Ds had swelling and hives (swelling was actually on his eye ball-yuck).  The allergist pointed out that there is no "do-over".  I was also scolded for driving DH to the ER rather than calling 911 when he had swelling over his body and hives.  The doctor's felt that if he did have more trouble (even though he had epi in hand) that I wouldn't be able to drive and tend to him. 

So two part answer- Yes, you should use the epi. I don't know if I would as I tend to hesitate.    :(  It would be an epi/ER situation according to all our doctors and what I would hope I would do.  KWIM?

I know it is hard to make the decision.  I think if I used it once and got past that mental block it would be easier. 

I really hate having to hold this life or death decision in the back of my mind all the time.  Because that is what it is- for anyone with anaphylaxis or the parent.  Every decision- eat this, go here, etc. has that extra "Will it be safe?" question hanging over it.  Then, once you get to the "I think it will be safe" point, you still have to prepare for the possibility of an emergency and be ready to use an epi-pen.  I have relaxed more over time because DS hasn't had any bad reactions for years and he is very aware of his own body and will tell me if he is concerned.  We still pull the epi-pen out now and then when he starts to cough excessively though.  Stress stress stress.  :thumbdown:

I hate that, too.  (the bolded)  ...And totally agree with everything else you wrote, too.

It is so hard not to hesitate, and not to secondguess.  I've been scolded, too.  :(

Then again, I've used it in the past, so you'd think we'd be over the hump.  But still, I worry each time that I'm overreacting.  

In general, 2 body systems = anaphylaxis.  But when those two body systems are involved in a mild way, or one is mild, I just ... hesitate.  

Then I think of the stories I've read, after the fact, and that the tragedies always happen when someone delays the epi, and... Oooooh, the regret for hesitating.  

It's a tough situation, to be on high alert all the time.

I don't have an epi pen, but if I had one, I'd probably be very nervous about using it because I have tachycardia.

FWIW, I do remember having the sedated feeling before, once very clearly, because it was such a strange sensation. I don't remember breathing those times.

Also, if you don't mind a little TMI, when I had the two recent food reactions, I had a bathroom symptom, which sound like it would fit Spryte's description above. I guess I'm going to have to be very careful about what I put in my mouth.

Oh dear.  Be sure to mention the bathroom symptoms to the allergist.  They are significant.  That counts as one body system, in our "2 body system" scenario.

On the tachycardia, discuss with your doc, but generally epipens are fairly safe - I don't know about your situation though.  It makes me realize I need to mention tachycardia to my doc, too, since I have that as well.  Never connected it with the epi.  Oops!

Oh dear.  Be sure to mention the bathroom symptoms to the allergist.  They are significant.  That counts as one body system, in our "2 body system" scenario.

On the tachycardia, discuss with your doc, but generally epipens are fairly safe - I don't know about your situation though.  It makes me realize I need to mention tachycardia to my doc, too, since I have that as well.  Never connected it with the epi.  Oops!

Doris Rapp gives tachycardia as a symptom of allergies in one of her books. Since reading that I've wondered if that's why I'm tachy. No one has ever been able to find an explanation.

Once I remember being in a restaurant--it was exactly this time of year, the beginning of spring around five years ago--and I felt the sedation sensation come over me and I had to run to the bathroom. I made it back to the table eventually but I couldn't sit up. I was slumped over and telling my mom that I felt so sick. She said, "You're just tired and need caffeine. Have some coffee and you'll feel better." I couldn't drink the coffee and she had to drive me home. I felt messed up for a couple of days. 

Every few years my body crashes. Always is in spring. There must be an allergy connection. Maybe the seasonal allergies overload my system so food I can otherwise tolerate causes a reaction.

I don't claim to be an expert, but have been rigorously trained about anaphylaxis for my job. I have never heard of a sedation feeling as a symptom. I'd also be very leary to give epi in this situation, unless a doctor has given you the ok. Have you had your heart checked out thoroughly? If you already have tachycardia, my first thought is an arrhythmia (other than the tachy) that would cause you to feel suddenly tired. 

Either way, I hope it turns out to be nothing! 

The heart rate issue could be a symptom as well according to this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anaphylaxis/basics/symptoms/con-20014324

See also:

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=149title=anaphylaxis_symptoms_and_treatment

Are you feeling light headed/faint? Or are your symptoms more like the ones listed for low blood pressure:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/symptoms/con-20032298

IMO, you should have the heart issue checked and follow up with your allergist separately.  It is possible for allergies to change or get worse over time and you don't want to be caught unprepared.  An underlying heart condition could make you more at risk during a reaction.    Knowing what is causing the problem will help you better manage it. 

Full disclosure- I avoid doctors like the plague for myself so it would be hard for me to take my own advice.  But I do think you need to determine whether you are experiencing life threating reactions or not. 

Even seasonal allergies make me very sleepy. I do not get the nose and congestion problems, but rather I get itchy and sleepy. Not sure which is worse, but I do not have time to be sleepy!

ETA: I would look into the heart issue though before chalking it up to allergies. I get very tired, but my heart does not act up.

Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
•Skin system: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
•Respiratory system (breathing): coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain/tightness, throat tightness, hoarse voice, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
•Gastrointestinal system (stomach): nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
•Cardiovascular system (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
•Other: anxiety, feeling of "impending doom", headache, uterine cramps, metallic taste

The most dangerous symptoms of an allergic reaction are:
•Trouble breathing caused by swelling of the airways (including a severe asthma attack for people who have asthma)
•A drop in blood pressure causing dizziness, light-headedness, feeling faint or weak, or passing out.
Both can lead to death if untreated.

Taken from anaphylaxis.ca

My ds had extreme sleepiness when he had anaphylaxis as a toddler to egg. His first sign was turning grey with a look of dread no one could miss it was so awful, as if he'd just seen something horrific. He then had the more recognizable symptoms of hives and vomiting, but he was so suddenly tired he was limp and sleepy in between vomiting, though he didn't have shortness of breath. He slept a lot after the episode as well. But I would also look into heart issues to be safe.

I don't claim to be an expert, but have been rigorously trained about anaphylaxis for my job. I have never heard of a sedation feeling as a symptom. I'd also be very leary to give epi in this situation, unless a doctor has given you the ok. Have you had your heart checked out thoroughly? If you already have tachycardia, my first thought is an arrhythmia (other than the tachy) that would cause you to feel suddenly tired. 

Either way, I hope it turns out to be nothing! 

The heart rate issue could be a symptom as well according to this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anaphylaxis/basics/symptoms/con-20014324

See also:

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=149title=anaphylaxis_symptoms_and_treatment

Are you feeling light headed/faint? Or are your symptoms more like the ones listed for low blood pressure:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/low-blood-pressure/basics/symptoms/con-20032298

IMO, you should have the heart issue checked and follow up with your allergist separately.  It is possible for allergies to change or get worse over time and you don't want to be caught unprepared.  An underlying heart condition could make you more at risk during a reaction.    Knowing what is causing the problem will help you better manage it. 

Full disclosure- I avoid doctors like the plague for myself so it would be hard for me to take my own advice.  But I do think you need to determine whether you are experiencing life threating reactions or not. 

Even seasonal allergies make me very sleepy. I do not get the nose and congestion problems, but rather I get itchy and sleepy. Not sure which is worse, but I do not have time to be sleepy!

ETA: I would look into the heart issue though before chalking it up to allergies. I get very tired, but my heart does not act up.

Don't worry. But I appreciate the concern. It's very nice. :)

I've had thorough work ups with cardiologists three times and there's never been anything abnormal found. It's sinus tachycardia, which means it beats fast but with a normal rhythm. My 24 hour rate is in the normal range but my rate is high during the day and low at night so it balances out, which I've read is typical with inappropriate sinus tachycardia.