Menu

Need Kindergarten reccs

We are pretty relaxed here for K and 1st, focusing on the 3Rs. I think that the Veritas Press Phonics Museum is an engaging multi-sensory program and it really (really) drills those letter in in a fun way. It also covers writing. For math, what about starting with a couple of the leap frog videos like Math to the Moon? MEP Reception Year is also a gentle program to use.

Logic of English Foundations, it has lots of activities for different learning styles. It starts very basic, it is even good not to know the letter names :). It is for ages 4 to 7, so it would fit a delayed 1st well.

We're using Catholic Heritage Curriculum grade 1 with my almost-5 year old. It's very gentle and pleasant to work with. We *are* subbing out phonics and math - we're using PAL for reading/phonics and CLE for math.

CLE is great because it starts at the very beginning, assuming no previous teaching in maths, but ramps up into a rigorous program. I also use Miquon as a supplement.

Memoria Press Kinder at whatever pace is good for you.

R&S Math 1 2nd edition {it is a bit simpler, I think, than 3rd} Go nice and slow. Get the Blacklines.

Leap Frog Talking Letter Factory vid. Really, really, really works!

For a totally different horse, how about a Waldorf inspired K year like Oak Meadow?

Is this for now or next year? He is right on track for K this year, imo--I wouldn't expect him to be ready yet for first grade. Remember, a lot happens in the 5 months between now and Sept., developmentally. 

Pretty much everything WTM recommends for first grade would probably work well for you next year. 

That said, for next year, Saxon 1 is a nice and gentle start to math. For now, you could use Saxon K (and just finish when you finish, and then go into Saxon 1).

Phonics Pathways is also gentle but thorough. Pair with Bob or Nora Gaydos books after blending happens. ETC (the "primers" not 1) would be a good supplement. 

Keep reading to him! So great that he loves books! 

For next year, You could start SOTW  and do oral narrations w/o writing (which is SWB's recommendation anyway). Add in projects as you want to. For the rest of this year, just be interest-led--you could go traditional preschool/k and visit community helpers (fire station--bring cookies! farm, tour the back of the grocery store, etc.).

Nature walks and keeping a nature notebook is a lovely way to start science. It teaches observation skills that are foundational to every discipline.