Menu

Hist./Lit Curriculum using the Bible as core?

Was wondering if anyone knows of a history/bible curriculum that uses the Bible as the core.  I want to follow through the Old Testament and chronologically work our way through using our Chronological Bible but want to incorporate history and literature as we go along.  Does anyone know of a set out plan that would help me go about this?  Thanks in advance!  Looking for MS/HS ages.

I've used their entire high school with my oldest. (She's heading to college in fall on scholarships... )

and my middle daughter is in the 9th grade program now.

I think it's hard to see the whole program from the samples because it shows the lesson plan but not the content of the week. 

I can talk a long time on it but not sure I'll answer what you're looking for..   I can try.

What do you think is not complete on it?  maybe I can answer that?

I'll start rambling in next post on other thoughts.

I'll try it this way to describe how it is implemented.   on their website they show samples with week 10 and week 11.   I'm going to toggle on week 11.

looking at day 1 (monday) in the grid... the first three boxes going down the column are the history and Bible lessons.  

There's a box to read some history background (Journey through the Bible)

Then, you read from the section in Joshua (the Bible reading is Chronological)

read the Monday notes on the right side of page -- those notes are for some extra backgroun or in this case, showing a place in NT where these events/people are mentioned again

There are basic comprehension/discussion questions -- that's what Taking the OT Challenge is.....  you use the questions on those pages in that book and write or respond out loud

and in order to get through all OT... sometimes you read a psalm at end of time..

The next thing in the box below that is a book on hot topics in creation debate.

then...  readings from high school level encyc. of history.

All of those things have parts that are talked about in the introduction of the lesson planner --- written response, and/or be prepared for discussion at Friday conference.  parents are given a broad base outline in week 1 of the lesson plan to have those discussions.   General questions that apply each time to focus the conference.  that is not shown on the sample, but is in the lesson planner....

Then you'll see a thicker gray line....  and that separates subjects.   next on the list is English.     Lesson 13 of the Lit Comp book has vocab and reading from Bulfinch mythology.    the lessons are in the book that is referenced, so it doesn't show up on samples....

the part marked "reading" --- this means free reading to finish out the "academic hour" if needed.   some people will read classics, others will read unrelated, but fun books.   Other people use the extra time that day to work on specific skills in English -- for example, my middle daughter needed to work on editing her essay, so we did that.

now you see gray lines to get the other subjects done such as math, science, electives.    If you use MFW recommendation for that....  those individual daily do to do that... are in a separate booklet.   You are not required to use their recommendations for math and science... so the grid is blank to let the student fill it in.

additional notes as needed that do not fit in the grid box are on the other pages.

For the most part, the program is for students to do more of the reading on their own and to meet with parent at least once a week for discussions.   MFW gives parents a chronological reading schedule in the back of the lesson planner that is the same as the student's grid.   That way you are reading together and ready to discuss with your child.

does that help any?   I know it makes sense to me b/c I've done it...  

overall,,, the way it works is with the ancient literature......   you will always be tying it back to worldview through the point of view of scripture.   For example...  my middle daughter and I just finished week 32 so we've just finished reading Odyssey.   Many of the discussion and critical thinking questions are tying back to compare and contrast greek stories to how God is described in bible.   or consider the lack of faith of Odysseys even though he was helped without fail.  What causes loss of faith?  What does the Bible say about loss of  or lack of faith in God?  discuss..

and in the rest of the day.../week/   in her history books she's learning more in ancient Greece and culture so it's all connected.    and Bible at this point is just after the exile and heading into time of Persia...

I don't know if that answers your question of how it is implemented.   so keep asking.  and I keep trying.

it includes literature analysis, composition... 

That does help some thanks for your lengthy post!  One question though, as we are reading throught the OT does the history/literature coincide with the reading chronologically and does it cover most all important things going on in the Bible during those time frames?  I hope this makes sense it is hard for me to explain what I am looking for exactly.  Maybe if I tell you exactly what I am looking for you could tell me if this would suffice.  I want to dig deep in the Bible and pull out historical time periods as we read it chronologically to gain a world view of what is happening in all areas.  Such as the rulings of Israel, Babylon, Persia, Assyria, Greece...etc.  Also wanting to study the people and leaders during the time period as well.  And bringing in good literature during the time period as well.  Does this make sense?  Thanks for your help!

I think it does it at 9th grade overview level.  I know from doing this course it's helped me with all of those things when we study in an adult sunday school class.

The entire old testament is read in AHL.   so it's going to cover all of that.  some things will get more time/study than others because it's 36 weeks..

They keep a chart going as they read about each king of Israel and Judah. 

They are making a timeline (fairly detailed I think.. homeschool in the woods) at same time.

and with the Babylon/persia/assyria....   more time in spent in that with the inductive style study in book of Daniel.   I know this week with that study my middle daughter and I were comparing timeline events on a chart in that study book noting all kinds of stuff.

It's not super in depth or college level on each leader though.  

The literature is tied in as much as possible:

epic of giglamesh - that's creation and flood... so it's done in time where you're in Genesis

Cat of Bubastes is fiction set in ancient egypt... so that's read when doing exodus

then you get the ancient Greek readings in there.

I'm not 100% sure how the Eric LIddel biography book fits in other than he was in the olympics in 20th century and the book is read when you're studying ancient greece.  it's nice to end the year with something a little different though.  (edit to update:  I just got to that week in my dd's class.   now it makes sense...   The week before the Eric Liddel bio is assigned, we spent the week learning about ancient China.  Eric Liddell spent parts of his life in China.   students are encouraged to think and compare how Eric was considered a hero (in missions and Olympics) and contrast that to Greek ideal of hero from reading Homer.)   now it all connects!   Got to remember to read those notes in the daily lesson planner and they tell you right there..... this is why they do a modern bio in ancients.)

some of the other readings with the products from Notgrass -- I think the text in the world history book is lighter.  But the "in their words" adds a nice touch to the historical documents.

not selling just yet.  some of the books are used in 2nd year and I have to hold on to it a bit.   I understand on the price.   but it is 3 full credits too.

ps.  hoping someone has other ideas for programs that fit your needs so you can compare what you works for you. 

Thanks for all of you imput.  I like the idea but wasn't sold on some of the history spines.  I wonder if there is a chronological history time line with Literature tied to it that would be so helpful in coming up with your own plan.  Oh well, might bite the bullet and go this way just not sure.  Thanks again!

I have just discovered the Foundations curriculum and it is exactly what you describe! http://foundationspress.com/our-homeschool-curriculum/foundations-bible-foundations/  I am planning to use the Foundations Bible Year 1 along with Foundations World History 1, which covers only Creation through Assyria so they are a good fit for one another. The author does schedule "some" extra reading, but certainly not enough for a Lit credit. I would imagine you could do the SMARR Ancients for high school. I plan to add in Diana Waring's What in the World CD's (b/c she is fabulous!), some MapTrek maps, possibly SWBs History of the Ancient World for my 8th grader. I was so excited to find it! FWIW…my daughter thoroughly enjoyed MFW AHL when she used it for 9th. ;)

I liked Foundations Press but the history and Bible I am looking for don't go hand in hand....I ended up going with Simply Charlotte Mason Genesis- Deut. & attempting to finish the Joshua-Malachi one as well since I can do all my kids with it. I like MFW but for the price and simplicity I chose SCM. Thanks for all your suggestions!!!!