Menu

Floridians - need a state study resource

atozmom

UPDATE: I believe I will be going with this site that umsami mentioned. http://fcit.usf.edu/...ons/lessons.htm

I have a few weeks at the end of this year that I had set aside to study Florida state history with DS. However, I don't want to use what I have (State History from a Christian perspective and Abeka). There's nothing wrong with either, both are just more than I want right now.

What I don't want -- I do NOT want notebooking!  If I decide to add something written to it, fine, but I don't want it to be the core of our few weeks. I don't want to bounce back and forth between different books or online sites to pull it all together. I simply do not have the time or the energy right now. I also don't want something that I am going to have to break down and summarize because it is way above his  grade level. (again, just don't have the time right now) I had found a couple of state history sites, but reading straight from those would have just been over his head.

What I would like -- I would love to have just one source to read from, two would be ok. A free resource would be great!! However, very inexpensive would be doable as well. Something that's not really dry and boring so I don't lose DS within 5 minutes. I need something elementary level. 

I am headed to the library within the next couple of weeks to see if they have that one wonderful book that would be a perfect fit and meet our needs, but not holding my breath.

Am I asking for too much here? Quite possibly. LOL  Any suggestions welcome. TIA  :001_smile:

What about this?

http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/lessons/lessons.htm

I seem to remember DH using some of these last year.

http://www.history.com/topics/us-states/florida

Thank you. I like the first one. I will check into that more. I don't know how I missed that one when I did a google search.

Weekly Studies has a Florida state history for 4th grade (could use it for a different grade). 

Do you have a link? Thanks.

Weekly Studies Florida State History (it's the first one). 

Thank you!

I like the Florida Then & Now resource mentioned above.  The entries are short, readable, accurate (as far as I can tell), and cover a wide range of topics.  Plus they are free!

I might be leaning towards these. Free is really nice. :001_smile:

eh, watch something about the everglades on netflix, pbs has a documentary about Henry Flager that is excellent, then read about the barefoot mailman and call it done :)

I have seriously thought about doing something like this. However then I start feeling guilty like I would be cheating him out of something. :tongue_smilie:

Intelligo has a FL unit

Thank you, I will look into it.