Menu

Fin Aid Anyone experienced this?

Mrs. Donagin

My daughter ( age 17) is transferring from a community college to a university this fall. She has received a tentative award letter but the university is requesting our son's (age 16) high school diploma and high school transcripts. We are not sure why they want them, although we are assuming that it is because our daughter does not qualify for as much in grants if we only have one child officially in college. Our son graduated from our homeschool in 2011 and has been attending college since then.

Any thoughts? We are not sure what to do, but are leaning toward telling the university that it is none of their business since our son is not enrolling at this point.

We did submit his high school transcripts and I talked to the financial aid advisor this morning. It is partly because they wanted to make sure he wasn't dual enrolled. The weird thing is they did not want his transcripts from the community college even though I offered them. I guess, the process is just more invasive than I thought it would be. Also trying to find out as much as I can about the process, because I have two more to send to college.

Lol, Nan. You are right! I'm really grateful though because between the Pell Grant, the Mapp Grant, and being able to commute from home the tuition will be paid for.

It actually costs more for our kids to attend our local public school. Our local school district spends $14,000 to educate a student for a year. Our community

college does it for less than $4,000 and the local university costs about $12,000. It all makes my head spin if I think about it too much. I've teased my homeschooling

neighbor that I wish the school district would let me teach a few students for half that price....

Lol, Nan. You are right! I'm really grateful though because between the Pell Grant, the Mapp Grant, and being able to commute from home the tuition will be paid for.

It actually costs more for our kids to attend our local public school. Our local school district spends $14,000 to educate a student for a year. Our community

college does it for less than $4,000 and the local university costs about $12,000. It all makes my head spin if I think about it too much. I've teased my homeschooling

neighbor that I wish the school district would let me teach a few students for half that price....

The community college does not get all it's funding from tuition anymore than the public school does. If that $4000 cost you are referencing is the price of tuition, it is likely only a fraction of the cost of educating the students, the rest is covered by taxes.