Menu

Writing goals for 9yo (WWE4, MCT, TOG WA, or something else?)

Tracy

A little background:  Dd9 is very verbal.  She has a great vocabulary.  She reads well.  She spells above grade level.  But writing has been difficult for her.  Part of the problem is that from very early on, she could compose sentences that were too advanced for her to write.  As she gets older, that is becoming less of a problem.  The other part of the problem is that she has ADD tendencies.  She gets really distracted when writing anything (whether LA or math or whatever).  She stops after every word and looks around, fiddles with things, etc.  We are working on this, and I have accepted that this will probably always be a challenge for her.  I am not looking for help with this particular aspect--just giving it as background.

This is our 3rd year with WWE, and we will finish WWE3 this spring.  It has been a very good program for her.  She loves, loves, loves history and literature, and she is often excited about the passages used in WWE.  It also challenges her weak areas without requiring any busy work.  At this point, I am very happy with her ability to narrate and write from dictation.  She has an age-appropriate knowledge of capitalization and punctuation rules, though she still needs occasional reminders.  

I am on the fence with continuing with WWE4.  WWE has always been challenging.  But I fear that this next level will put her over the edge next year.  

We are starting MCT Island next year.  I have considered using that for writing.  But I am concerned that it is too free form and not enough structure for either of us.

I also have TOG WA.  I got it on sale, and I haven't yet used it.  I would love to integrate writing with her history.  

I feel very comfortable teaching writing on the high school level, but I am unsure how to get there from where we are now, especially with some minor learning challenges.  I am not sure what my goals ought to be at this point, and I would love some suggestions.  

Island has very little writing. The writing assignments are generally used to show your grammar knowledge.

I would suggest keeping up with WWE skills by using them in science or history and using WA. The first 6-8 wks of TOG writing are generally review, so I would ask your dd to give you a WWE style written narration from 2 places each week rotating between history, science, and lit. From there I would pick and choose using the WA assignments that you like, and practice narrations on the other weeks.

Tracy,

Wish I could be more help to you, but one thing I can share is that SWB just posted recommendations for her products.  You may not need to use WWE 4.  I don't know how to link it, or I would.

I sure hope you get some replies soon.

Blessings

Pamela

Thank you, ladies. I didn't even notice this today. 

Thank you so much for this!  I did go over to the Learning Challenges board to get some suggestions, but I was still feeling very  :confused1: about what our goals should be.  This update from SWB is very freeing.  I have my cart full of a variety of things that we can work on next year that will just be a lot of fun.  

Island has very little writing. The writing assignments are generally used to show your grammar knowledge.

I would suggest keeping up with WWE skills by using them in science or history and using WA. The first 6-8 wks of TOG writing are generally review, so I would ask your dd to give you a WWE style written narration from 2 places each week rotating between history, science, and lit. From there I would pick and choose using the WA assignments that you like, and practice narrations on the other weeks.

Thank you, TracyP.  This is great advice.  I will look more closely at the WA assignments.