Menu

Besides R&S.....

smudge

What else could I use for Grammar/English? I liked the looks of R&S but DH is very much against a Christian Themed curriculum. Is there anything for English that is like R&S but more secular?

Trying to plan next years fun and games. I am using FLL, but I am not feeling the love as it provides no answers so I don't know if I am teaching correctly or not. Very weak in the grammar....

In all of FLL 1-4 the answers are right there for you, so I am not sure how you don't know if you are doing it correctly. It is fully scripted and the correct answer is provided, at least my memory of FLL 1&2 is that the answer is right there. You are the only one with the book in FLL 1&2 so it has the answers. You tell them to repeat the definition of a noun and they do it. You ask them for the proper name of someone you know and they do it.  In FLL 3&4 you are reading from the teacher's book and it has the answers in the teacher book. Again, it is scripted so the answer is right there in the teacher's book.

Hake grammar is the secular choice for many after FLL.

In all of FLL 1-4 the answers are right there for you, so I am not sure how you don't know if you are doing it correctly. It is fully scripted and the correct answer is provided, at least my memory of FLL 1&2 is that the answer is right there. You are the only one with the book in FLL 1&2 so it has the answers. You tell them to repeat the definition of a noun and they do it. You ask them for the proper name of someone you know and they do it. In FLL 3&4 you are reading from the teacher's book and it has the answers in the teacher book. Again, it is scripted so the answer is right there in the teacher's book.

Hake grammar is the secular choice for many after FLL.

Yes we got through nouns. That was fine. But, now we throw in verbs and that is where I fall apart. We are labeling nouns and verbs in sentences and all I'm saying is that an answer key as to what the noun/verb is would be reassuring.....

This was my weakest thing in school. I could spell circles around you but ask me grammar stuff and it's "deer in the headlights".

GWG {check out their writing, if that method appeals to you. For us, the Spelling was awful. Olders retained zilch from 3 levels of GWG. If you use this, do not just hand the book over. Actually teach the lessons. Learn from my mistake.}

Easy Grammar

FLL {it gets better, really!}

Voyages in English {but it is $$$)

Hake {starts at 4th grade now}

Winston {use in 5th/6th. Not a lot of practice, though.}

Shurley Grammar {has a learning curve for you the teacher}

Michael Clay Thompson Lang Arts {for 'gifted' kids. Very unique.}

R&S uses the KJV Bible, if that helps at all. There really isn't anything else like it.

This is an old thread but it might help you.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/71106-growing-with-grammar-vs-rod-and-staff/