Menu

Will teen's car insurance be higher if she skips the graduated license program?

Pegasus

My state (TN) has a graduated driver's license program for teen drivers.  If you are under 18, you have to start with a learner's permit and log 50 hours of supervised driving before you can get an intermediate license.  Finally, once you are 18, you can get a full license.

So, my eldest DD is not eager to start driving.  My plan was to wait until she turns 18 and enroll her in a local driving school. She would be able to get to a full license.  We would still take her out for plenty of supervised driving but we wouldn't have to bother with logging hours, etc.

A friend recently told DH that it will be more expensive to insure her if we do this, since she didn't go through the graduated license program.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  We plan to call our insurance company to ask but I wanted to ask here because, let's face it, we collectively seem to hold all needed knowledge/experience. :hurray:

Actually, they might offer a discount if she has gone through the program, which would make not having gone through the program more expensive.

In some states, parents are not charged for insurance if the teen has a permit - only when they get a license.  Maybe she can start the program to get a permit and not log hours and skip the intermediate part?

After being unable to log the required 50 hours for either of the first two kids before they turned 18 anyway...for kid 3 we are simply not taking her to the DMV until she turns 18.  She will have taken driver's ed and had plenty of practice before then. Just not 50 hours. 

If the kid has a high GPA insurance will usually offer a good student rate. 

My company told me that the first 2 years are the most expensive anyway due to their lack of experience.  Which says it may not be the graduated license that helps reduce the cost.

GPA does not give a discount in NC.  And we weren't charged for the year both girls only had a permit.  Only once they had a license.