Menu

BYU? Just using it for classes not transcript

I've never really looked at BYU until I read about it on the high school science thread. I'm interested in it for a few classes. I don't think we want to use everything from them. Their application form looks like most people use them for everything- I have no problem pulling my own transcript together and really don't need to pay for some of the classes. Also my daughter is halfway through 9th grade and it doesn't look like they would give her credit for the classes she took at home anyway. Right?

Can anyone walk me through how it works if we want to use them for maybe 2 classes a year?

Thanks,

Jen

My kids have taken several classes through BYU.  They are not providing me with a transcript at the end.  My kids will graduate through my homeschool.  I have them taking the classes through BYU in order to have some classes that are through an accredited school to supplement my mommy grades for other classes.

So far, my kids have taken:

all 4 Latin classes

Algebra I - 1st semester was fine but I didn't really like the 2nd semester course

Geometry - really liked

Algebra II - have only used the 1st semester so far, but plan to order the 2nd semester in a month

Biology - this is my favorite course so far

World Geography - very easy

Health - like a standard PS Health class - emphasis on drugs, alcohol, STDs - I only had take it who needed it to get back into PS.  I made my own Health class with my three daughters that actually was about HEALTH (nutrition, exercise, etc.) :huh:

I have looked at 9th and 10th grade English.  I have not had any kids take the class for credit though because I assign way more reading than these classes do.  I guess I could have them take it and then supplement, but I just haven't yet.

I am looking into using the Chemistry course next year but I'm not sure if I'll use the regular or honors course.  My nephew is currently enrolled in Honors Chemistry and LOVES it!

All of the courses are secular.

HTH!

My kids have taken several classes through BYU.  They are not providing me with a transcript at the end.  My kids will graduate through my homeschool.  I have them taking the classes through BYU in order to have some classes that are through an accredited school to supplement my mommy grades for other classes.

So far, my kids have taken:

all 4 Latin classes

Algebra I - 1st semester was fine but I didn't really like the 2nd semester course

Geometry - really liked

Algebra II - have only used the 1st semester so far, but plan to order the 2nd semester in a month

Biology - this is my favorite course so far

World Geography - very easy

Health - like a standard PS Health class - emphasis on drugs, alcohol, STDs - I only had take it who needed it to get back into PS.  I made my own Health class with my three daughters that actually was about HEALTH (nutrition, exercise, etc.) :huh:

I have looked at 9th and 10th grade English.  I have not had any kids take the class for credit though because I assign way more reading than these classes do.  I guess I could have them take it and then supplement, but I just haven't yet.

I am looking into using the Chemistry course next year but I'm not sure if I'll use the regular or honors course.  My nephew is currently enrolled in Honors Chemistry and LOVES it!

All of the courses are secular.

HTH!

We are strongly considering Biology. Can you answer a few questions for me? The tests that require written answers--who corrects those? Does the mom? Are you provided with an answer key? I notice some of the end of section quizzes have essay type questions, not just multiple choice, that's why I am asking.Also-- In my trial, the final test wasn't available and you had to "ask the school for it" and then mail it back. Are these tests supposed to be proctored and then mailed back to BYU, or am I missing something? Thanks. 

Halcyon -

All of the Let's Check Mastery questions at the end of each section are answered in the back of the material in an Answer Key.  The Speedback tests can be submitted online and are graded immediately since they are multiple choice.  The final exam is proctored.  I have the manager at a local Sylvan learning center as my proctor.  Once all of the speedback assignments are completed and graded you can order the final on your child's homepage through BYU.  My proctor is on an approved list that pops up if you input your zip code.  The test is mailed to the proctor.  This is included in the price of the class unless you want to expedite shipping.  For $20 you can have the exam overnighted to the proctor.  From the time the proctor receives the exam, you have one month to take it before they are suppose to mail it back to BYU.  They drop it in the mail when you are finished.  Most of the time we have taken a final on either a Thursday or a Friday and we have gotten an email with the exam score on the following Monday or Tuesday.

If you don't see a proctor near you, there is a short sign up process for them to go through.  Full-time librarians and high school teachers can do it.  Also - if you have a community college nearby with a testing center, you could have the final sent there.

All of the assignments for the Biology class are multiple choice speedbacks.  That means there is no wait time for the teacher to grade assignments.  The English classes had a combination of multiple choice speedbacks and essays.  The essays are emailed or mailed to the teacher and then you do have to wait until they are graded before you could request the final.

I hope that answers your questions!

Maureen