Menu

Consumer math

My ds (11th) took the first semester business and consumer math class through BYU Independent Study this past semester.  Very straight forward.  Interest, car loans, budgeting, etc.    I plan to have all 3 of my dd's take it and the 2nd semester course in a year or so.  It's amazing to me how much I assumed he would already know but didn't.  I had a funny conversation with a friend about her giving a check to her son (12th grade) to pay for a voice lesson and having him totally mess up filling it out and her needing to drive all the way to the teacher's house with another check!  I think consumer math should be mandatory and pre-calc optional for more high school students!!  Some of us will need calculus for careers, but everyone should have a better understanding of interest.  Maybe more kids would earn interest rather than pay it if they learned more about it in high school.

My ds (11th) took the first semester business and consumer math class through BYU Independent Study this past semester.  Very straight forward.  Interest, car loans, budgeting, etc.    I plan to have all 3 of my dd's take it and the 2nd semester course in a year or so.  It's amazing to me how much I assumed he would already know but didn't.  I had a funny conversation with a friend about her giving a check to her son (12th grade) to pay for a voice lesson and having him totally mess up filling it out and her needing to drive all the way to the teacher's house with another check!  I think consumer math should be mandatory and pre-calc optional for more high school students!!  Some of us will need calculus for careers, but everyone should have a better understanding of interest.  Maybe more kids would earn interest rather than pay it if they learned more about it in high school.

Actually, I believe this wholeheartedly!!!   :iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree: 

My parents pushed academics but they never taught me consumer math.  Or about maintaining my car.  Or car inspections.  Or insurance.  Or how to apply for a job.  Seriously.  ALL of those things are extremely important to understand.  In fact, I also think there should be classes in how to maintain your home or apartment, too, so you aren't having to call an electrician or a plumber or a contractor for every little thing and you can recognize potentially serious problems before they end up costing you thousands in repairs.  Think how much money people would save if they truly understood consumer math and weren't so dependent on others?

I think consumer math should be mandatory and pre-calc optional for more high school students!! Some of us will need calculus for careers, but everyone should have a better understanding of interest. Maybe more kids would earn interest rather than pay it if they learned more about it in high school.

Where I live it's a graduation requirement, but doesn't count toward math credits.

It is definitely good basic stuff everyone should get before graduating.