Menu

Geography for K-3, and a Does This Exist?

I am trying to come up with a library of little books, many around a 1st/2nd grade reading level, which give some perspective of other countries and cultures. I would rather books/series that have a little about lots of countries, in a consistent format, than lots of books on a single country (We can delve deeper later, this is just 'home library stocking' with books to catch interests, give a general overview and perspective of 'there's other people out there' and give comprehension practice, and later reading practice in non-fiction at the same time)

My list currently contains

World Alphabets Series

A Child's Day Series

Children Return To Their Roots Series

Children Just Like Me

Eat Your Way Around The World

So hopefully that gives you some idea of what I'm after

Firstly, does anyone have any other books or series' that they love along the lines of this theme? They needn't necessarily be 'childs eye view', but shorter, 20-40 page books which are engaging. I have seen a number of series' available where the title of each book is just the name of a country, and they all seem to fit, but I am having trouble figuring out which ones are great and which ones are just generic non-fiction published to fill a shelf somewhere. Any specific reccomendations? (Also, any TV/DVD series' along the same line? I found Families Around The World but they're awfully pricey)

Secondly, the big thing we are missing among these books is things like folktales etc from each country. I know there's a million and one books with african/native american/indian/etc folktales and stories and I could get them at the library, but if I want something for our home shelves, is there any particular series or book which covers tales from multiple countries. (Alternatively, anyone know any TV series' which do tales from multiple countries? I already know of a series which focuses on Africa and have access to plenty which focus on the Dreamtime stories here in Australia, but is there a series which covers, say, a different country each episode or something?)

Maybe I am a little OCD, but I dislike having lots of random books and bits of series', so if there is a 'set' I can get, I'd much rather that than buying a few books for each country. If we want to delve deeper we have a library where we can check out a dozen books on a specific country, but for our home shelves I'd rather avoid buying a bunch of random books unless they are high enough quality and content to stand alone, like the unicef children's one and cooking one. I try to avoid having our kids bookshelves filled with lots of random mediocre books which could just as easily be pulled from the library.

Since we are on the topic anyway, if you have any favorite, 1st-3rd grade reading level, non fiction series' in subjects other than Geography/Social Studies, feel free to throw them in. I already have magic school bus and an assortment of scholastic readers among some other things.

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

I have some books like this in my Literature-Based Geography book list.  

Tracy Mirko this is amazing!! Printed and I think I might laminate too!

Other suggestions if anyone wants them:

* ARGENTINA: There's another pampas book by the same author that's wonderful. The one you have is the sequel.

* CAMEROON: The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander and Trina Schart Hyman is a beauty.

* ANTARCTICA: http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Robert-Scott-Saw-Antarctica/dp/B003F76DXI   <-- there are 4 books in this excellent series -->

Again, THANK YOU. The Hive is such an extraordinary resource.

Tracy Mirko this is amazing!! Printed and I think I might laminate too!

Other suggestions if anyone wants them:

* ARGENTINA: There's another pampas book by the same author that's wonderful. The one you have is the sequel.

* CAMEROON: The Fortune Tellers by Lloyd Alexander and Trina Schart Hyman is a beauty.

* ANTARCTICA: http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Robert-Scott-Saw-Antarctica/dp/B003F76DXI   <-- there are 4 books in this excellent series -->

Again, THANK YOU. The Hive is such an extraordinary resource.

Wow, I never imagined I might get laminated some day.   :coolgleamA:

I will add your suggestions to my list.  Thank you.   :thumbup: