Menu

Musical Parents Where Are You? -- Music Education

Gil

Where are the Musical Parents/Families at?

If you want a good generic Music Education at home what are some good basic steps you can take?

Something that I could do at home without buying a ton of expensive stuff or committing to outside lessons?

We aren't in instruments just yet--the boys are really into singing and I'd like to help them sort of improve. What can I do? Where should we start?

I'd like to help the kids develop a sense of rhythm, timing and tone.Are there any quality channels on YouTube or valuable websites that I should look at? I'm kind of out of my depth with a Music Education!

We're fortunate that the music director at our church, who teaches the children's choirs, is also trained as a Musikgarten instructor. The kids in our children's program begin at age 3 with singing, dancing, and many different music and rhythm games. My crew has also started piano, but since I'm a (strictly amateur) musician I can fill in some teaching & reinforce concepts during their practice times between lessons.

I don't know how old the Musikgarten program goes, but you might also look into whether there's a children's choir or chorus in your area (church or community), also ask around about Orff ensembles / instruction, drum circles, or recorder classes. You may be able to find inexpensive and/or drop-in groups where you don't have to commit to a lesson series.

If you have a piano or keyboard available, the Faber "My First Piano Adventures" books are a good introduction to not only piano but also other elements of making music (reading music, rhythm, dynamics, music terms, etc.). Most of the songs have lyrics that go with them and there is an accompaniment CD included, so you could probably use them for singing if you don't want to do piano just yet, and still benefit from the other parts as well.

There isn't anything like that in our area because boys have aged out of it. (It only goes to K). We aren't the least bit religious so church choirs aren't an option and the community choir/chorus is an expense that we can't take on right now. Surely there is something we can do at home, right? There is a friggin' book/program/course/manual for nearly everything else, there isn't anything for Music Education?

We are a musical family, but definitely do outside lessons for violin. 

I understand that the recorder and ukulele are good instruments to learn without a teacher.

I also would suggest music theory.  We use ABRSM.  Just google it.

Ruth in NZ

I'd suggest listen to lots of different music-classical, jazz, pop, folk, whatever. In the background with lots of repetition is great for kids. Read about composers and performers if the kids like something. Listen to "The young person's guide to the orchestra" or "Peter and the wolf" to get a sense of the instruments. Go to concerts when you can. Sing, sing, and sing some more. Dance and clap along to great songs (that will get them a sense of rhythm). Fiddle music is great for clapping. I'm not a big fan of music theory until the kid is playing an instrument or singing a lot. It just doesn't make all that much sense. I know many disagree with me. 

http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Musical-Kids-Guide-Parents-ebook/dp/B00FVUQ5LC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394728289&sr=8-1&keywords=Raising+musical+kids

This book is well worth getting. The author was one of the speakers for the Tennessee Arts Academy teacher track when I did it in 2002, and has a lot that is very useful even if you are not in a place of being able to start music lessons at this point in time. The older edition is quite good as well if you'd prefer to save a little money, especially if you're planning to use it at home instead of looking for specific programs.

Pianimals  is excellent and doable at home.  http://www.pianimals.com/   Invest in a really nice keyboard or a piano that you *keep in tune!!!*  Do not allow your kids to play on an out of tune piano.  

Break Music up into theory, singing, playing, and appreciation.  You don't have to cover it all every week, and some things might combine.  If a child went through pianimals, that would cover theory and playing.  They should be singing what they play too...but don't leave that for the only singing they do.  Introduce them to a variety of singing.  Youtube is a wealth of performances.  Start with what you like.

For appreciation, pick a new composer every month (or so), read about his/her life a bit, listen to their work.  Don't make it more than need be.  Pick composers that you think they'll enjoy.  (modern)  Find silly or interesting facts about them...my kids still love to mime pulling off gloves in a dramatic fashion just like Listz, for ex.  

Peter & the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals, Papa Haydn...check amazon.com for the picture book w/CD for these.  There are probably more, but these came to mind.  I love these for 6/7yo's.