Menu

HS Co-op Class Expectations

For those of you whose children take core classes at a co-op, what are some of the expectations you have, both from the teacher and of the content?

Some examples include, but not limited to, late work policies, attendance, should classes include informal instruction in notetaking, some public speaking,

etc.?

What are some of the policies of HS core classes of the co-op you attend?

Thanks so much!

Pam

What type of co-op is it? Is it a paid co-op, where the teachers get paid? If it is a paid co-op, I would expect more out of the teachers. I would want them to grade papers. It is where everyone pitches in and no one gets paid, I do not expect teachers to give grade or critiques of papers.

In our co-op, each class is to have a different student stand up and give a talk about something that they are learning. That gives the student an easy start into public speaking. Everyone gets a chance to speak in class.

Core classes, everyone has to own their copy of the textbook, to avoid any copy right issues. Teachers are to abide by copyright rules of texts that they are using. Teaching create a syllabus for the year, and list required books, supply costs and any special presentations. Students are expected to do their homework, that is assigned by the teacher.

It is not a paid co-op. Students purchase their own texts, and each teacher writes a class syllabus for each class they teach.

I like the idea of how to, casually at first, initiate public speaking in the classes. That's definitely one thing we want to incorporate into the elementary classes and bldg on it each year, starting simply at the elem. level.

One student expectation, of course, is to complete all teacher assigned work. There are late work policies, as well (I'm speaking about HS core classes here), and closed book tests given regularly (usually take-hone since we meet only once per week.

Any other policies/expectations you feel are good/necessary at a co-op?

Thanks!

Whatever the situation, I'd like to see clear policies up front and a level of commitment to them.  Naturally sometimes things have to be adjusted, but you shouldn't have to do a lot of that.

My biggies are always what the teacher will do if a student stops turning in work or is a behavior problem in class.

It is not a paid co-op. Students purchase their own texts, and each teacher writes a class syllabus for each class they teach...

… One student expectation… is to complete all teacher assigned work. There are late work policies, as well (I'm speaking about HS core classes here), and closed book tests given regularly (usually take-hone...

… Any other policies/expectations you feel are good/necessary at a co-op

My experience with co-ops in my area:

A non-paid co-op means families:

1. pay a facility fee for rental/cleaning/use of the building for the semester (lump sum divided by # of families)

2. AND they buy all their own texts required for the class

3. AND there may be a supply fee for some classes (for example, to pay for kits/materials for science labs/experiments)/

A paid co-op means families pay all of the above AND:

- there is a per-class fee to pay the teacher's time to enable having a quality instructor.

Just my experience with non-paid co-ops in my area:

Even at the high school level, the majority of families in the non-paid co-ops seem to just want the co-op for social time, opportunity to learn classroom skills, and the bonus enrichment of what a teacher other than the parent can bring to the class.

The families DON'T expect/want any homework, as it takes away from their homeschooling time and what they are doing for credits at home. They would also NOT expect late policies, since any outside-the-class work is considered enrichment / supplemental and therefore optional. Typically, tests, grades, and papers would not be a part of an enrichment class, since the students may/may not do any outside work.

In contrast if families DO pay, my experience is that they are using the co-op for outsourcing for partial or full credit, and they DO want (and will back the teacher about) homework, late policies, tests, grading.

I have taught several co-op classes, at all levels (elementary, middle school, high school). Key for ME:

- always have an adult volunteer or assistant in the room

Back-up in case there is a discipline issue, and to be an extra pair of hands is always needed. If it is a hands-on class, have at least TWO adult assistants every class.

- parent participation policy

Unpaid co-ops need to have a "no drop-off" policy. AND a mandatory parent participation policy. Participation helps with "ownership" and with the running of the co-op; parents can teach, of course, but if not, then they can work as class assistants, facility monitors, baby room caregivers, study-hall parent to answer questions and keep order, etc.

- set a minimum/maximum class size

I am no longer willing to run the class unless I have the minimum amount needed for discussion / participation, as it's an exercise in frustration for me and the students. Also, I now set a maximum limit of how many students that I know I can handle -- and I will no longer go over that limit. Learned the hard way in last semester's hands-on science co-op ! ! !

- decide in advance how much time is reasonable for YOU to invest

Last semester, I was spending 20-25 hours a week to prepare for two 1-hour hands-on science classes. And it was NOT a paid-co-op situation. So, I literally GAVE several hundred hours of my life to those families. Yes, it was a great co-op and the kids loved it and learned. Yes, I learned things too. Yes, I could translate some of that as research into creating a curriculum if I wanted to, so the hours weren't "wasted". But in retrospect, that was a very UNbalanced amount of volunteer hours that stressed my family, and ultimately I felt that donating THAT much time wasn't respecting myself and the true value of my talents and time.

But my point is, to do a GOOD job of teaching a co-op class requires advance prep hours, reading of the material, and then follow-up/grading/etc. after the fact. Esp. for a non-paid-co-op, it's important to figure out in advance how much time is reasonable to give to the class without stressing out you or your family, and then don't go over that -- pass the baton back to the participating parents at that point, or require monetary compensation.

Based on my experiences, I'd say 2 hours of pre- and post-class time for every 1 hour of in-class co-op time is a reasonable limit. Much more than that, you will be shorting your own students, your family life, and yourself.

- charge an (optional) fee if YOU are preparing & grading tests/papers/assignments

Starting this year, I will NOT offer tests, papers, writing assignments and grading without charging an optional fee for it. Those services are a HUGE time investment at home on my part as a teacher -- at least 30 minutes per student per test or short writing assignment, and about 2 hours per multi-page paper, esp. with citations.

So, from now on, I will hand out assignments, but  only collect and grade them from families who pay the optional grading fee; the other families can do/not do the assignments as they wish, and parents -- NOT ME -- are responsible for making their student do the assignments AND for grading them.

I can't stress enough how freeing this new policy is for me! I am still able to help those who genuinely want credit, I don't have to stress about those who don't turn in work or fret about what work they are/aren't doing at home, and my time is not being taken advantage of. :)

Just my 2 cents worth! BEST of luck in your co-op adventures. :) Warmly, Lori D.

Spelling out expectations upfront is the best way to avoid conflict and disappointment.

One of our local high school groups has paid teachers that teach core classes. They assign and grade homework and tests. They are available for questions.

As a teacher, I don't want to mess with grading homework from other kids. I teach supplemental classes that generally have no homework. Some have "homework" that is optional. Any other expectations from students I spell out ahead of time so they know before they sign up.

I also teach chemistry lab. I've had a number of students put in over 100 hours of lab time with me. Before signing up I send out a syllabus to the parents outlining all my expectations. I approach each student individually and meet them where they are at for their math and chemistry background. I expect lab write-ups to be done as we do the lab. I look over and make comments on the write-ups as they are done, but I don't grade them. I discuss the discussion questions orally and give students a handout with the answers. I make sure all the calculations are done before they go home so that they understand the math. I specifically don't grade.

At our local co-op many of the teachers for the more academic, high school level classes have both the student and parent sign an agreement at the start of the course spelling out what the expectations are.  It doesn't eliminate all the problems, but it does help make sure everyone understands what is involved.  Each teacher sets their own policies, based on the class.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Our co-op does many of the things mentioned above (having assistants in all classes, having minimum/maximum class sizes (decided upon by each teacher), and having mandatory parent participation).  Some teachers do have parents & students sign agreements at the beginning of the semesters so everyone is aware of the class policies.  I think this should be mandatory for all HS core classes.

I really like the idea of charging an optional grading fee.  Excellent idea!  I'm definitely going to bring this up at our next planning meeting.

If anyone has any different policies that your co-op uses, please share...I'd love to hear about them!

Thanks again.