Menu

Life guarding class-does it count for credit?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has used Life guarding as a credit on the high school transcript.  My daughter took the course at a YMCA and I think it was through the Red Cross.  I know that her school friends take it at school for  a gym credit.  My daughter already has ample hours for a gym credit --so do I put 2 credits ??  1 for life guarding and 1 for swimming/swim team/volleyball team?  Or should I just pick 1 credit for physical education this year?

Any thoughts??

thanks

pam

Most colleges aren't looking for PE credits. However, if you want PE credits and use them to get to a specific number of credits for graduation then , yes, I would count it as one PE credit.

After mandatory 9th and 10 th grade PE classes at the local high school, students can take "advanced" PE electives: advanced PE, yoga, weight training. I would think lifeguarding would fit in there. The only thing I would question is giving it a full credit. Depending on the course provider,the lifeguarding class may not meet for as many hours as a traditional credit.

It could be: PE, Occupational Education (especially if she gets work experience lifeguarding), or just extra-curricular (if the transcript is full but the extracurricular part is not).

(Occupational Education is a required subject in Washington state, it may or may not be a box that you have to check.)

I wouldn't give more than 1 PE credit in a year, but if you want to give PE credit, lifeguarding certainly counts. I took an "advanced swimming" class in high school that included life guard certification, although that didn't take the whole semester.

PIck some of those things… life guarding, swimming, volleyball to list as extra-curriculars. I would say colleges are far more interested in your child having a good list of ECs than they are PE credits. 

I am going to be the odd one. :D

How does one validate giving one PE credit for Lifeguarding certification?

The class usually runs no more than 40 hours, which is just under the standard number of hours to provide one quarter of a credit.

I know we are homeschoolers and anything goes, but what am I missing?

Where I live, one credit is 180 hours, a one semester credit is 90 hours.