Menu

Homeschooling Books Advocating the Child-Led Method.......

but not unschooling.  

I have a neighbor interested in learning more about homeschooling.  The appeal to them is allowing the child to follow their interests, but not necessarily unschool.  What would be a good book to recommend?

Many people like "project based homeschooling." It works better with multiple children from what I got out reading the book, but it is a methodology some use. "Leadership Education" I believe is the name of the major book outlining DeMille's Thomas Jefferson Education which focuses on mentoring instead of teaching. "The Teenage Liberation Handbook" is what unschooling used to be, not the radical unschooling of now. It is a fantastic resource that is much more unschooling as interest led learning with parental guidance/mentoring. It might be worth a look. We unschool early 90's late 80's style. I couldn't unschool the way people do now. An evolution of that term might be in order, for just that reason. The term has really dramatically shifted from what John Holt originally discussed.

Many people like "project based homeschooling." It works better with multiple children from what I got out reading the book, but it is a methodology some use. "Leadership Education" I believe is the name of the major book outlining DeMille's Thomas Jefferson Education which focuses on mentoring instead of teaching. "The Teenage Liberation Handbook" is what unschooling used to be, not the radical unschooling of now. It is a fantastic resource that is much more unschooling as interest led learning with parental guidance/mentoring. It might be worth a look. We unschool early 90's late 80's style. I couldn't unschool the way people do now. An evolution of that term might be in order, for just that reason. The term has really dramatically shifted from what John Holt originally discussed.

Thank you!  Yes, John Holt was who I immediately thought of.  

There is a British book called Free Range Education that might be helpful. Lots of parents giving the experiences of their families.

The idea of an 80's style unschooling is interesting. In Australia the term "natural learning" seems to be preferred over unschooling. In my experience (lots of them in our homeschooling group) Most of them use child led, active learning, and are devotees of Holt.