Menu

Filling out the secondary school report for college...

For those of you who've sent a son or daughter to college...I could use help with filling out the Secondary School Report!

I've filled out the information section, but I don't have a clue what to write in the recommendation section!!

Does anyone have any suggestions?? What sort of things did you write about?

My oldest is applying to one college - her favorite in-state school. She's decided that it's the only college she truly wants to attend and, if she doesn't get in, she's just as happy to return to the community college and get her AA degree (she's about to start her 2nd year there next week)

So I only have to write one, but...I've never written a recommendation letter before, especially for my own daughter!

Help!!

Writing a recommendation for my kids was probably the hardest thing I have had to do as a parent!

I started by saying right up front that since I am a parent I look at my child with a great deal of bias.....then I went on to talk about my child's strengths. I backed up each strength listed with anecdotes that showed how my child approaches life/academics/social situations, etc. I tried to get my illustrations from a variety of areas in my dhild's life -- dinner table conversation, volunteer situations, academic work...the kind of questions she asked, how she approached pursuing her goals, etc.

I gave little academic info in my rec -- i figured that that would be included in the teacher recs. I tried to give an overall picture of my child and I tried to include stuff that wouldn't show up in a "normal" recommendation....traits like curiousity and initiative and persistence.

I did also include a carefully selected weakness of my child in the recommendation -- and tried to show how she compensated for it or how she at least worked around it.

I hope this answer is helpful -- writing a recommendation for your child whom you love and know so well with any attempt at objectivity is SO hard!

One bit of encouragement -- writing the recommendation for the next child will be easier. My second is VERY different from my first, but having the rec for the first sitting in front of me gave me all kinds of ideas on how I could give a better picture of my second child.

Best wishes!

Thanks, Gwen!

I called the college today and they told me that I don't have to fill out the secondary school report after all!

They do want a ... mission statement ... I suppose is the best way to describe it, telling them about our homeschool structure, etc., and to make it a cover letter to a description of her textbooks used / courses taken in 9th - 12th grades and I'm hoping that will make it a little easier to write!

Just a word of unsolicited advice--

If you can, include a recommendation letter from someone who is NOT your child's parent. You can pick a coach, a music instructor, a youth leader at church, your pastor, a highly-credentialed friend, etc. Someone who can say they know your kiddo and has seen evidence of growth and maturity, and can be specific for you.

We have two military Generals in our congregation that have written rec's for ds for other apps, and it is very nice of them to do so! It carries a different weight than having the parent alone do it.

Also,

along with course descriptions, go ahead and make a book list, especially if you've done some impressive work (I mean, your Child has done some impressive work :D). If you are doing any Great Books, for example, go ahead and list them.