Menu

How are you using Maxwell's School Composition

Soror

I just got this in and am wondering about how to schedule it. I read in the intro that each part was meant to take 5 months. I'm not clear about how long each lesson should take and if the child is expected to do all the exercises listed in each lesson listed, on some of the lessons it seems that the exercises offered are just different choices. I'd love to hear how others are using this book to get an idea of incorporating it into our writing time.

My dd does writing from School Composition 3 days a week. She pretty much does every exercise, but if choices are offered (such as when you rewrite fables and are supposed to choose one), she just does one of the options. I don't really worry about how long each lesson should take. She started late in 5th or early in 6th (don't remrmber) and she will be finished sometime this fall, I expect. She will then move into Maxwell's Writing in English, which I plan to have her finish in 8th grade.My dd really enjoys School Composition, and I have seen a strengthening of her writing as she progresses through the book.

As Tara said, a lesson usually takes my 5th grader three days.  On day 1, I read through the lesson with him, he chooses one of the writing assignments to do, and then he makes an outline.  On day 2, he writes the rough draft, and we edit it.  On day 3, he writes the final copy.  If the writing is a longer assignment, it may take four days. 

I am alternating using this with IEW, so I anticipate it taking us about two years to complete it. 

I don't have him do the grammar exercises because we beat that subject to death with our other programs.

I am really enjoying School Composition, especially because of the excellent models.  The lessons are high quality and not like many other homeschool writing programs I have used.

So, Mrs Twain you only pick one writing exercise per lesson? I will be using this with WR and other things so I'm not sure how much we'll use or how long it will take but I definitely some exercises that will be a benefit for ds.

So, Mrs Twain you only pick one writing exercise per lesson? I will be using this with WR and other things so I'm not sure how much we'll use or how long it will take but I definitely some exercises that will be a benefit for ds.

For example, Lesson XI talks about Aesop's Fables.  There are several exercises listed about rewriting one of Aesop's Fables using your own characters.  I had my son just choose on the ideas to write his own fable.  Of course you could have your child do more of the exercises, though.

Hi,

Is there a difference between School for Use in Higher Grammer Classes Classic Reprint (August 2012) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099TOAMW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and some old paperback version School Composition http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0554756153/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER?

I want to buy a print version.