Menu

Would anyone care to share a sample weekly schedule for SWO (older kids)...

Sue G in PA

I've been having dd11 and ds9 do a page each day (takes about 10 min.) and test on Friday. Some weeks this works (they ace the test), some weeks it doesn't (they bomb!). Could anyone share a sample weekly schedule for the older dc (levels D+ for example). My younger ds's do levels A & B and just doing the pages works for them so far. I'm looking to add dictation using spelling words as well as possible copywork incorporating the words. Would Spelling Wisdom work here? TIA for any suggestions.

I had a similar problem with my oldest. In the early grades he did fine with just the lesson, but as he went up he began missing more at the end of the week. Not everyone does it this way, but I pretest now at the beginning of the lesson, and they practice the words they miss there along with the lesson activities. I also found that the lesson seems to sink in better if they do a section per day versus a page per day.

I also added in having my ds look up the words in a children's dictionary. This has helped with his dictionary skills, and I think it also has helped him retain the spelling since he had to focus so much on it to find the word. I generally spread it out over the week, so he looks up several each day and not all on one day.

Yes, I would suggest having them work more on practicing writing the words if just doing the workbook page for each day is not enough writing to help them memorize the words. I'd also go over the rule for the lesson with them each day and look at the words that apply to the various parts of the rule, etc.

And I'd keep a list of trouble words, having them practice writing those on a regular basis and retesting for them, periodically.

Regena

I've been having dd11 and ds9 do a page each day (takes about 10 min.) and test on Friday. Some weeks this works (they ace the test), some weeks it doesn't (they bomb!). Could anyone share a sample weekly schedule for the older dc (levels D+ for example). My younger ds's do levels A & B and just doing the pages works for them so far. I'm looking to add dictation using spelling words as well as possible copywork incorporating the words. Would Spelling Wisdom work here? TIA for any suggestions.

Sue, my ds12 uses SWO G right now and he does a page/day and he tests on Thursdays usually. After he does his page then he will study the words he doesn't know well for 15 min. or so. He also does dictation with Spelling Wisdom. He starts on Monday, writing it every day,and then Thurs. I read it out to him. As he does his dictation, he also studies the words that he has trouble with. I've loved Spelling Wisdom. I use it for my dd7, ds9,and ds12. For ds12 I use the passages further in the back of the book b/c they are longer with more content as far as grammar usage and vocabulary. HTH a bit!