Menu

100 ez lessons question

mama2kck

I started my son on 100 ez lessons. but I'm wondering if that's the wrong place to start him. he knows all his letter sounds already from his half of year of public school. these lessons in 100 ez lessons are very boring because he already knows it. should I skip ahead? continue on? or switch to something different?

I personally hated 100 Easy Lessons, so perhaps someone who liked it would be able to answer your question better.

I really like Phonics Pathways. You can jump in there at any page in that book. So if your child knows the intial 26 letter sounds, but perhaps not all the digraphs and vowel teams, it is easy to jump ahead to that section. Phonics Pathways is also of a similar price range to 100 Easy Lessons.

If you want to stick with 100EZ, have him just read the stories until he gets to where he is struggling. Then, you can back up a lesson and go from there. But, 100EZ might not be what you are looking for. Your Mileage May Vary: YMMV. 

We use 100EZ, but I'm not a slave to their methods or wording. My kids generally struggle to learn to read, so we often have to back up (15-20 lesson) & redo. Opposite problem than you are having!  :laugh:

How is his blending going and how old is he? We use 100ezl as a first phonics program then move onto OPGTR. I think 100ezl works well for young kids and gets them reading simple readers fairly quickly. If it is easy you could do more than one lesson at a time. If he knows the letter sounds skip to the sentences.

100 EZ Lessons is a love it or hate if program for most people.  I personally hated it. Others love it.

If you don't want to use real books to teach your child to read (for an explanation of how to teach your child to read using real books get Ruth Beechick's Homestart in Reading) and you prefer using a curriculum to do it, you may want to try Phonics Pathways as it's stunningly efficient and simple to use. I found the companion books with the sentence pyramids well worth it too.

We use The Writing Road to Reading and we love it. My son had to memorize all the phonograms before we started with the spelling tests. Half way through the year he was reading well, by the end of te year he could read anything. I never ased him to read aloud to me at all. He just began reading on his own because of te practice in WRTR.

I really like Phonics Pathways. You can jump in there at any page in that book. So if your child knows the intial 26 letter sounds, but perhaps not all the digraphs and vowel teams, it is easy to jump ahead to that section. Phonics Pathways is also of a similar price range to 100 Easy Lessons.

:iagree:  We only used 100 Easy Lessons to teach the letter sounds and then switched over to Phonics Pathways. Phonics Pathways goes much farther than 100 Easy Lessons. :001_smile: